It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:18 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: washing cleaners
PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2003 7:30 pm 

In Ft. Worth/Dallas, where does one buy soap flakes, washing soda and sodium perborate? Have asked at a few stores in Ft. Worth and the vendors have no idea?

Mary

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2003 9:51 am 
If you can't find soap flakes for sale, you can always grate pure Ivory soap.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2003 2:31 pm 

I'm pretty sure that Fiesta Market has soap flakes (packaged in plastic bags I think) for laundry. At least the packages were labeled "soap flakes;" that could be a loose use of the term, so you might want to look at the label. Another way to get soap flakes is to make soap and grate it. Making soap for laundry is the easiest application because it doesn't have to be very consistent, very sudsy, very gentle, well-fragranced, or well colored. Make it, set it, grate it, use it.

I've bought Arm & Hammer washing soda in a grocery store, but I don't remember which one. I've read that some K/Wal-Marts carry it. The sodium perborate I'm not sure about; it may or may not be easier to mail order it than to find it in a store. I imagine a store can get it if you have the ear of the right person. I believe the Country Save Non-Chlorine Beach product is sodium perborate; their Web site lists their products as available at:

The Better Health Market in Arlington and
The Health Hut in Bedford

There probably are other brands of sodium perborate bleach products that are sold in places like Whole Foods Market or in health food type places, so you might want to check the labels.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2003 3:44 pm 

marymar1

"In a reversal of the usual evolutionary process, several of the big soapers are responding to Orange Glo with their own products: Clorox Oxygen Action from Clorox, Shout OxyPower from S. C. Johnson, and All Oxi-Active (which contains sodium perborate instead of percarbonate) from Unilever.

Sodium percarbonate makers are reaping the benefits of all this new product activity. Roy Hill, percarbonate business manager at the Solvay Interox division of Solvay, says household products like OxiClean are the biggest drivers of percarbonate demand today. Bleach-containing powdered laundry detergents are still an important market, he says, but liquid detergents continue to take away market share from them.

Partly in response to the new market, Solvay Interox is building a second sodium percarbonate plant in Deer Park, Texas, that will add 50,000 metric tons per year of capacity by the end of the year. The company will use a dry reaction process and incorporate a stabilization coating to help overcome percarbonate's traditional stability problems.

In contrast, Solvay closed its Deer Park sodium perborate plant at the beginning of 2002, according to Hill. Demand was falling, he says, because of a combination of increasing consumer preference for liquid detergents and switching to percarbonate as the bleach ingredient of choice in powdered detergents."

To read the article in its entirety

http://pubs.acs.org/cen/coverstory/8103/8103soaps1b.html

There is no mention of the percentage of sodium perborate in the All Oxi-Active product, but it does indicate that it is a component.

For the unwashed (pun intended), why the preference for the sodium perborate?

Good luck.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2003 8:26 pm 

Mr. Clean wrote:

For the unwashed (pun intended), why the preference for the sodium perborate?

I'm going to guess that the preference is a holdover from when BNaO3 was the only readily available alternative to chlorine bleach until the fairly recent entry of large scale production of sodium percarbonate. Although BNaO3 may be mined to some extent, whereas I believe sodium percarbonate primarily is manufactured, the breakdown products of sodium percarbonate are much more environmentally friendly than those from sodium perborate. There may be some preference for the mined vs the manufactured product. I have wondered if potassium percarbonate would work as well as sodium percarbonate, but volume and cost are the name of that game.

It is a little funny how changing the color of a stain, while leaving the staining material in the fabric, makes consumers think that the item is "clean." In the end, the mania over breaking bond conjugations to change from color to lack of color is an issue for which there are not enough psychiatrists. :roll: