It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:07 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2005 4:51 am 

Is this forum board losing it popularity, or has paid membership to it cost a good portion of posters that would have joined if free? I have been in school over the last ten weeks and have not had time to come here. With that absence I expected to see an overwhelming number of posts, I was under whelmed. I am surprised by just how few posts there are, in any of the discussion boards. I am wondering if by making the forum board posting a paid members only option, it has eliminated the novice or beginner from posting and in turn, not giving the veterans something to reply to. This also then removes the value to those of us who have paid for this since it is no longer being utilized heavily by anyone but the regulars and has closed off a good amount of possible discussion.

IMO, it is the newbie questions and responses from them that make us all grow. Since they make us think about the issue and come up with a solution. It does not seem like this forum board has the same activity the forum had before paid memberships.

Your thoughts?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2005 7:04 am 

The forum has also lost some very informative and helpful people. Enzynme11 hasn't posted since April, EPI 1:10,000 since May, and BillUSA99 since April just to list a few. I would vote to open the forum back up to everyone. Yes, we may get some inappropriate posts, but Admin or the moderators could take care of those and keep things on track. The Ground Crew Members only area is a very good idea, and improving content of that area would be a good draw for forum posters to become members. Just my 2 cents.

Post subject: postings
PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2005 7:41 am 

I, too, have concerns b/c I will retire in a few months and probably no longer be able to pay the ground crew fee. I'll still check in to the website for info, but won't be able to post. I'll have to depend on others to have the questions/answers that I may have posted.
Patty

Post subject: Losing Ground
PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2005 8:42 am 

I have heard from many friends in the community that they are dismayed at the lockout of non-members. I understand the need to support the site financially and dissuade improper posts...but I wonder if we're not throwing out the baby with the bath water. :shock:

I almost let my membership lapse, but decided to renew for at least one more year. I'm very much in hopes that a way for newbies to continue to learn and grow with us can be found. Surely there is a happy medium here? I hope so. :?

Howard's radio show, the Dirt and this website have arguably introduced and educated thousands of people to/in the Natural Way - which benefits each and every one of us. I am hopeful that listeners and supporters can persuade the powers that be, if it is economically feasible, to re-open the forum to everyone.

Kathe :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2005 10:18 pm 

Well, there are other forums out there that discuss organic gardening, and they are free. In fact I saw some ground crew members over there before I discovered this site. I prefer this site because I personally find it easier to search and navigate, but I do suspect that many old ground crew members will just bail and head back to these other free sites.

If finances simply do not permit this forum site to remain viable as a free service (though I don't know why others seem to manage), then perhaps the ground crew membership could be tiered. Maybe have the forum posting be the least expensive option, like perhaps a half or a third the current rate. Then a tier above would grant access to the ground crew area, and then a tier above that would include printed delivery of DIRT.