It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:14 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2004 2:15 pm 

I purchased and planted an eight foot "ball and burlaped" Chinquapin Oak in 1997. A year later, I found and removed three apple borer worms that were girdling around the main trunk. The open wounds healed over and the tree has become quite healthy. Last fall, I noticed perhaps a different type of girdling around one of the upper tree limbs located about 10 feet above the ground. This area looks inactive. This season, I noticed another upper limb with the same type of girdling. It also looks to be an inactive area (no oozing, no ant activity, no discoloration on the outer bark, no bark holes). The present girdling is different from the original 1997 episode. The present girdling appears to be something like you would see beaver damage in the wild. I definitely do not have beavers in my area and besides, the damage is not near the base of the tree. I am thinking that it might be caused by squirrels? Other than the girdling of two upper limbs, the tree looks to be healthier than ever. Any help in solving this mystery is appreciated.