It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:50 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 8:11 am 

I am attempting organic again for the third time. I tried in the mid 80's, again in mid 90's so hopefully i be better @ it this time. I have virgin pavestone raised flower beds that i backfilled with old compost that is no longer active. I recently planted many trees on our property and wish to 'feed and weed' them the natural way. My problem is that I got some free compost from a college which doesn't appear to be completely composted. It is comprised of horse manure and straw, sawdust, etc. I decided to start small this time and just try to do the beds and the trees. I placed compost around and on the rootball of each tree, but now i'm worried that this 'compost' I got is not quite compost and will burn the plants. It was dry in my opinion so i wet it. I was wondering if I should remove it or just make sure I add molasses and green and lava sand or if I should get a compost engergizer an not apply it until it is 'cooked'? I tried finding data online and in Howards books, but nothing rally applies to this problem. Any input would be greatly appreciated. :?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 8:48 pm 

There is really is no such thing as ruining "bad compost" or any organic matter!
Compost happens!

Simply mix other nitrogen materials (greens) and other carbon materials (browns) in the orginial mixture. Make sure to start with more browns than greens. This will guarantee good humate development, because it is most carboneous. To increase the microbial growth you can use more dry molasses if you got it. But any extra nitrogen in the form of blood meal or manures or urine will also speed decomosition and make your piles very hot.

Happy Gardening!

The entire Kingdom of God can be totally explained as an Organic Garden (Mark 4:26)
William Cureton