It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:39 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Top Dress or Compost Tea
PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 9:09 am 

Hello, my name is Marty Newman and I am new to the website. Just starting an organic lawncare program on 1 acre lot in Celina with Bluegrass over rocky soil. I posted under Lawncare and got no response so will try again here.

I have already put down molasses and need to top dress with compost. My question is can I spray with compost tea instead? Would be much easier and less expensive.

Next question is the bulk compost I have seen looks very much like mulch. Bought one pickup load at Wells Bros. Is this what I need for top dressing?

I would appreciate a response and thanks for your time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 9:29 am 

FWIW, I use just your basic garrett juice recipe monthly (contains compost tea) and mollasses 2x a year and CGM 2x a year. For my little yard I figure I spend $50-$75 a year. It's not home and garden pretty but it works fine. I spend the vast majority of my garden budget in my vegetable gardens.

I've thought about using compost but figured it would be better used economically for beds.

I would figure you pay for what you get, compost *Should* help you more than foliar feeding. But maybe not by what you end up paying for it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 4:25 pm 

My lawn is Home and Garden pretty and I don't do that much. I tried to grow Bermuda, but both my neighbors have St. Augustine, so as Howard always says, don't fight Mother Nature.

I let the St. Augustine gradually take over. And when it was almost filled in, put some sprigs in to finish it off. I spread compost whenever it is ready from compost bin in the back yard, usually 3 times a year and spread dry molasses twice a year. Although I may rethink that because it doesn't seem to be doing much for the fire ants.

I've recently started tossing the coffee grounds around just for good measure against slugs. I used to put them in the compost bin. I mulch my leaves and my clippings, and rarely need to water. Organic really is cheaper, smells better, and is much safer for my pups.