It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:07 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Where's everyone from?
PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2004 11:11 am 

I've been reading your posts (on composting) on this site for a few weeks now and noticed most of you are from Texas. Anyone from other states? I'm from Ohio.
-Josh

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2004 12:43 pm 

My husband and our two children and I moved to Norman, Oklahoma from Deep East Texas (Tyler area) in July of 2003. We attend the University of Oklahoma. I'm the gardener. My husband just shakes his head at me when I get bubbly about composting! :roll:

The most difficult aspect of central Oklahoma's ecology for me is the weather. Wind, wind, wind! Gusts of 25 mph is an ordinary thing around here, so I am challenged to think of good windbreaker techniques. The wind sucks all the moisture out of the soil and the plants. Rain has been sparse so far and summer is already upon us. Compost, finished or unfinished, helps my dry soil by creating a dense mat over the fine, crumbly top layer. What is most difficult about your area?

Sasha

"A man without self-control is like a city broken into and left without walls." Proverbs 25:28

Post subject: biggest issue
PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2004 1:19 pm 

Ohio's summer months are great for growing things (good sun, good rain). The biggest issue I have is that the season isn't very long. I do start seeds indoors though, which gives me some relief from the winter blues.
I've only lived in my own house for just over a year now and last summer I basically got into composting from throwing my grass clippings into a pile after mowing and throwing leftover veggies into the pile. This year I've tried to take it to the next level by composting small amounts from every other web pages "do not compost" list (meat, dairy, etc.). I'm such a rebel he he. So far so good though.
I understand how he shakes his head at you. I get the same reaction from my friends and my girlfriend. I just think its cool how stuff that is thought by many to be "trash" goes through a biological process and turns into something so useful. I really enjoyed the first time I saw the pile steaming. Hard to believe until you see it with your own eyes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2004 11:58 am 

Another Ohioian here! Glad I'm not the only one :D

-Joe Dirt-

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2004 4:16 pm 

i am from woodbury new jersey 7 miles south of Philadelphia PA

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2004 10:57 pm 

Location: California, San Joaquin Valley - home of 105* summers, foggy winters.
California, San Joaquin Valley. Home of 105* summers and foggy winters.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2004 1:53 pm 

The reason we're from Texas is the Dirt Doctor is from Dallas. He has a newspaper column, TV spot, and does a radio show. He also "appears" by phone to an organic radio show in San Antonio. He may appear elsewhere also. In San Antonio we have Malcolm Beck, an organic farmer since the 60s when everyone called him a hippy. Malcolm started Garden-Ville way back when to sell compost to farmers and gardeners. Last year Garden-ville sold enough compost to cover about 800 golf courses from tee to cup on every hole. Malcolm has had fought the uphill battle against Texas A&M and their Agricultural Extension Service for all these years, but it is paid off. He is a supreme observer of nature and is singlehandedly responsible for many, many organic converts including me. San Antonio also has Bob Webster, owner of Shades of Green nursery and a radio host of an organic show on the weekends. Due to popular demand, the radio station recently increased his air time from 6 hours per weekend to 7 hours. Austin has John Dromgoole (spelling?). All I know about John is he is very well thought of in the organic community. We also have a soil test lab run by K Chandler called the Texas Plant and Soil Test Lab. K is not 100% organic but he is at least 100% organic friendly. If you want the organic solution to your soil test problems, K will give it to you. I've heard K talk about his test techniques and I'm convinced he's the only soil test lab around that has a clue. If you are testing organic soil, Texas Plant and Soil Lab is the only place to go.

Unfortunately Texas is a big place and not all of it is sympathetic to the cause. Houston is a notable exception to the organic movement. Finding compost in Houston has been quite a chore for those folks. But on the other hand, there are many Texas ranchers who are dispensing with the chemicals, fertilizers, insecticides, herbicides, medicines, and hormones in favor of natural livestock production. The movement is definitely on around here.

Other hot spots for organic information and practices include the Pacific Northwest and Ohio. Other than that, Texas seems to be the cradle for this modern organic movement.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2004 5:32 pm 

Since you brought it up, John Dromgoole is definitely the most well known organic gardening personality in Austin. I think he is responsible for many of us who have converted to organic practices. He has a really great all-organic gardening center, hosts a radio show, and seems to always have a speaking engagement somewhere. I found a bio about him on the local PBS TV station web sight (where he co-hosts a gardening show, of course):

John Dromgoole, owner of The Natural Gardener, has been heavily involved in the organic industry and environmental issues for over 28 years. His nursery has been voted "Best Nursery" eight times in the Austin Chronicle's "Best of Austin Poll," and is known for supplying organic products, native and well adapted plants, and bulk compost, soils and mulches.

John is also the host of Gardening Naturally, a biweekly question and answer radio program that focuses on the organic technique for home owners and weekend gardeners. He has hosted that show on KLBJ AM 590 for 20 years.

John originated the City of Austin's Chemical Clean-Up Day, which has become an annual event and has now established a permanent drop-off site. He also co-authored standards for certifying organic farms as part of a Texas Department of Agriculture Task Force. Since 1983, John has written articles for Texas Gardener Magazine and Organic Gardening Magazine, and has won numerous environmental and industry awards

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2004 9:23 pm 

I am from Kansas. Got directed to this site by a good friend. Enjoy reading and learning alot from folks all over on here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2004 3:58 am 

Kenyon, Minnesota.....zone 4 :shock: Always searching for good sites! :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2004 8:53 am 

Cali-forn-i-a.
I recently moved from a little mountain town down to the valley (for school) and am rather excited to get more than one season out of my tropical stuff- Previously (it never failed) I'd forget to move them inside before the first frost and POOF nothin' but dead frostbitten little seedlings.. Sigh.