It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:06 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2003 5:05 pm 

:D Okies I am sooo excited! :D I finally got my compost pile built! I got tired of asking hubby to make me one and he got tired of looking at the uncontained pile in the yard so we compromised. I found this great bin that is 42 inches square and about 36 inches high with a chimney in the center at Green Mama's on Davis Blvd - for only $55! I think it is made out of 10 or 12 gauge wire that is plastic coated and all I had to was clearn out the grass on the bottom, open the square and put the chimney in the center. I followed the instructions and put some old branches and twigs ont he bottom for air circulation but not so sure that was necessary? With all of my collecting in the past couple of weeks I have completely filled this container with 6 large bags of mowed ash and mulberry leaves, 11 gallons of used coffee grounds, several months worth of mowed grass (weeds really) and the food collections from my kitchen. I added 11 ounces of molasses with my sprayer and wet the whole concoction down and now I cannot wait to watch it start to dissappear.

Now, here is my question - should I keep adding to this pile or take the leap and buy a new bin to keep adding materials to? Also, hubby wants to know if we should put a cover of some sort on top of this bin or will it be fine on its own? This is sooo exciting! I know I am silly but :shock: wow!

Hope ya'll are having a great weekend!
:wink: Christina

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2003 8:27 pm 

nina norman,
Welcome to the world of composting. You are not being silly, you are just like the rest of us. With all you have collected and added to your compost bin, you should have some really good compost to use next year. WOW 11 gallons of coffee grounds. The worms will love you for that. Don't be to surprised if your pile goes down pretty fast. Last time I mowed the grass (weeds) I picked it up and added it to my bins. My bins are 4' X 4' square and the grass filled it up completely. Now 3 weeks later the grass is down to about 2'. The molasses really heats up the pile and helps the decomposition.
Enjoy your compost, your garden sure will!.

Post subject: New bin
PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2003 10:06 pm 

Christina-
I think your questions have more to do with personal preferences.
You could continue to add to this pile and turn it under to get a more homogenious breakdown. Finished compost is a relative thing. Just because you take it out of the bin doesn't stop the process, it just happens at the new location. If you want real fine stuff, sift it through a 1/4 - 1/2 inch screen and throw the big pieces back in the pile.
The thing you have to remember is that 100 gallons of stuff makes about 5-10 gallons of compost. I have one of the bins you bought along with three other bins, you won't get much from one bin but you may not need much. More bins = more compost, you make the call.
Tony M