It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:34 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 12:27 pm 

I work for a large green coffee handling company and shredded burlap sacks are one of our wastes. I have been trying to find a home for these and have not been able to. We are based out of the Jacksonville, New Orleans, and Houston areas. Does anyone know of any composters in these areas that could handle a large quantity of burlap sacks?

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 1:53 pm 

Is the burlap treated with anything, or is it saturated with coffee oils? I wonder if an intermediate use would be good before composting. Mulch, for example, or spread out on unpaved ground on high-traffic areas or walkways (I look for things to keep weeds down on the pathways in my garden but it isn't the same as what I mulch my plants with).

What does shredded burlap look like? Is it stringy (as in a tripping hazard) or small swatches or is it a fuzzy clump of fibre?

Silver Creek Materials in Fort Worth has some unusual mixes of stuff in their compost (or they used to - I haven't heard much about their output lately - they may be doing more industrial than consumer work now, but that is just a guess).

Silver Creek Materials
2251 Silver Creek Road
Ft. Worth, TX 76108
817-246-2426
http://www.silvercreekmaterials.com

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 2:52 pm 

It is standard coffee burlap sacks, there should not be oil in in them because they are green beans. The oil comes out in the roasting process. I donate some of the non shredded bags to community gardens in the new orleans area to use for walk ways but a very small amount. As far a being treted with anything, i am not sure. I do know that 90% of the worlds burlap sacks are all made in the same place so if one is treated most will be treated. The bag is cut long ways on both sides all the way down the each side i am trying to post an image but i am having trouble. Thank you for the reply.

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 3:13 pm 

It's difficult to send full-sized images (right out of your camera) but if you reduce it to a medium or small size (not by inches wide but by how compressed the image is) it will load. The other option is to host it someplace else like Flickr or Photobucket and post a link here.

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 6:26 am 

New Soils & Compost is a large composting operation in San Antonio, TX. They also have one near Houston, TX.