It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:09 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 9:40 pm 

I've kinda been in the ag sector for a good while now, so as I'm wanting to transition into operating more organically, myself.... I come a cross a problem....

I see no way to know for sure that the commercial composts available are actually organic compost.

And what I am saying is: Still the majority of manure that is available for companies to make compost out of, is non-organic manure. (Most confined animal operations in the state, and in the U.S, are not organic operations)...

So knowing how much Organic Compost gets sold here in Texas, is it really possible that all these compost companies are only getting manure from the organic ag operations? I personally can't fathom that there are enough organic operations here, to actually meet supply demands in the compost business.

Ultimately my question is this: is there A, or are there SOME companies, that ya'll know for sure (100%) to be utilizing organic manure, for their organic composts?

Thanks!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 9:24 am 

There are probably none. Why? Because the "organic" growers are going to "grass fed" livestock. When the animal is grass fed, it leaves the dung out on the pasture where it is recycled by dung beetles. It is only available to the livestock producer, not to anyone else.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 6:08 am 

Kinda what I've been thinking.

I would partly feel better using a poultry litter (as for possible herbicide carryover), but then if memory serves me correct, HOWARD has mentioned that commercial chickends are often fed arsenic.

Can't win I guess.

I need too much to try and produce my own.