It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:52 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 6:46 am 

I am redoing my back yard.

Since I live on the coast, my yard is mostly gumbo (mostly clay that not even strong tiller will go through after 10 passes!) and I am wanting to break it up with a good amount of compost. Problem is, where can I find some good compost? I need about 3 yards so it need not be in bags but, instead, come from a soil supplier, etc.

The only soil supplier that I know of, near me, only has mushroom compost and rice hull compost. I have been advised by my most senior master gardeners to DEFINITELY not use mushroom compost.....for my yard project, at least.

My question is, does anyone know of a good supplier of other, well broke down, compost in the Houston area...or even better....Brazoria county area? It would be of great help!

Thanks!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 4:50 pm 

Get a hold of the yellow pages and find a landscapping co. that bags up grass clippings and dead flowers and see if they'll give it to you of find out where they dump it,or drive by stripcenters that are getting their grass mowed and ask the guys that are cutting the grass.That's how I get green grass for my pile in the winter months.