It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 6:25 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2003 5:49 pm 

I have a plant(shrub?) that grows in the woods behind my house. It seems to prefer shade. I have never found it in the open sun. The stems, thorns, leaves are green and waxy looking. Only the bark of the main stem is woody in appearance. It produces white blooms in the spring that look a little like dogwood and a tiny looking orange the size of a ping pong ball or marble. The thorns are numerous, very large and integral to the stems. I have heard it called mock orange but the references I use do not mention a fruit or thorns. It grows to about ten feet and has many stems like a crepe.[/img]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2003 3:10 pm 

slowpoke-
This sounds like a Bois D Arc tree that has been cut and is now growing like a shrub. It may even be growing from a root. If you get some round, brain-looking fruit from it you will know. It may have to mature more even tho you are getting blossoms.
Tony M

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2003 10:23 am 

I found it using the following web site.
http://www.cnr.vt.edu/dendro/wwwmain.html
this is an excellent site for identification purposes.
I have a huge quantity of Bois d'Arc on my place and I kenw it wasn't that.
It is Poncirus Trifoliata. Don't ask me how a Korean plant ended up in an East Texas woodland! I have a good bit of it spread over about an acre and nowhere else. I am going to try to propigate it on my fence/tree lines. Thanks for your help.
info on this plant is at.
http://ridgwaydb.mobot.org/kemperweb/pl ... ?code=E790

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2003 1:47 pm 

The inedible Trifoliate Orange is often used as rootstock for other orange varieties because it is more cold-hardy. At some point in the past plants of this species escaped from cultivation and naturalized in some areas of the southeast. Like all plants of the citrus family, it can be the host of the Giant Swallowtail caterpillar. Look for what looks like a bird dropping, but if disturbed a pair of orange horn-shaped glands appear.