It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:37 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Candy & Colored Paper
PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2003 11:24 am 

I have another question. Can I put candy in my compost pile? And what about post it notes? would the sticky stuff mess up anything? and how about colored paper like those yellow tablets you buy at walmart, are those ok? thanks again

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2003 3:33 pm 

GWBartek
I put all the left over Halloween candy in my compost. Depending how hot it is, it doesn't take long to break down. Also the sugar is great for the compost. As for the stick notes, I would also add it. I tried it once, by mistake. When I turned it, about 2 weeks later, I could not find any indication of it either. So I guess the answer is Yes, add them. Just remember to seperate the pages so it will break down faster. The smaller the pieces are, the faster it decays. I shred all my junk mail and into the compost bins it goes. I currently have a 40 gallon plastic barrel full of shredded paper waiting to be added to my compost.

Post subject: COMPOST
PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2003 5:52 pm 

Just keep in mind that anything you put in your compost has various ingredients. If the ingredients are hazardous, they are in your compost unless the microbes, etc. break them down. If any doubt, don't use the compost on food gardens!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2003 7:43 am 

Gar wrote:
I shred all my junk mail and into the compost bins it goes.

Hey Gar - can I ask you a question? I thought that colored papers and shiny papers had some sort of bad ink in them that didn't get broken down by the microbes - do you possibly have any additional information regarding this? I have six months of newspapers waiting to be shredded but I have been throwing away all of the advertisements. Now I am thinking of all that wasted material and cringing.

Thanks
ChristinaImage

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2003 8:09 am 

Only about 10% - 15% of my compost ends up in the garden. I use it mostly as a mulch around the trees, flowers, and to fill in the low spots in the yard. I do not shred newspaper. Instead I lay down about 5, or more layers in the garden before I put the cut grass on on top. It helps to control the weeds. Last year was the first year for my garden spot and I hardly pulled any weeds. The glossy parts of the newspaper I throw away. I think I remember the Captain saying to do this. Howard promotes using newspaper in the garden for this purpose. As for my junk mail, I like everyone else get alot, I just run it thru the shredded and into the barrel it goes until I am ready to turn my compost into the other bin. The plastic, from envelope windows I throw away and shred the remainder. Yes it is alot of work, but in the long run it keeps alot out of the dumps.

Post subject: paper
PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2003 11:01 am 

Just a reminder; any paper (including cardboard & shiny stuff) can be recycled. Here in the Ft. Worth-Weatherford area, I see all the schools with large dumpster type recycle bins that you are welcome to use. In fact, last I heard, they receive a slight amount of money based on the weight collected.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2003 6:43 pm 

I understand, I think, that all papers can be recycled. My concern is the ink that is used for the color adds. I thought I read here in this forum somewhere that it is bad to use the shiny colored papers for compost piles cuz the ink isn't broken down. Hmm, guess I shall have to keep searching for this answer.

Thanks,
Christina

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2003 7:09 pm 

Christina,
I think that the Captain had stated that the colored glossy ink was not good. That is why I do not use it in the compost or in the garden under the mulch. Plus I have to have some trash to contribute to the weekly pickup or I feel I am wasteing my money for the trash pickup (LOL).
I will see if I can find his post stating this and let you know if I find it and where.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2003 7:26 pm 

nina norman
Check the 'Newspaper in Compost' thread. You should find the answer you are looking for. I still will not use the colored glossy sections.

Post subject: Paper in compost
PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2003 12:43 am 

Agreed, shred & compost the black & white parts and recycle the rest. Like KHWOZ said, most churches & schools have a recycling container outside their buildings now and many receive a small income based on the weight of the materials recycled.

I shred mine and let it sit in its own barrell with some molasses & water for a while before I add it into the pile. It breaks down better that way.

Cheers, ya'll! :D
Kathe