It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:18 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Cheap & Free Trees
PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2003 11:40 am 

I work at Warren Laboratories, Inc. in Abbott, Texas. And before I started working here in June, they ordered 1700 bare-root trees and planted them in 3 gallon pots. After I started, I went through the trees and pulled out all the dead ones, because they weren't taken care of well. So right now, we have a little over 100 left I think. And they want me to get rid of them ASAP. We have too many honey locust on our property, so they didn't want to plant any here. They told me to just pull them out of the pot and throw them away, but I just can't bare to do that. So I am giving away the honey locust and northern catalpa trees. We are selling the others for $3.00. Here is what we have: Black Walnut, Chinquapin Oak, Green Ash, Laurel Oak, Nuttall Oak, Overcup Oak, Sawtooth Oak, Southern Red Oak, Water Oak and Willow Oak. If you are close to Abbott, I would be happy to give you directions to here. Or if you know of a place we can donate the honey locust and nothern catalpas, that would be great. I just hate to see this many trees go to waste. Thanks! If you have any questions, my number is 1-800-232-2563 ext. 214. My name is Gena Bartek. My e-mail address is gwbartek@yahoo.com.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2003 8:47 pm 

The honey locusts should be destroyed but the rest of the trees are valuable if planted in the right soil.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2003 9:59 am 

Yeah, the Honey Locust tends to have issues with borers and aren't very good at standing up to a freeze.

As far as the others (for those wondering):
Black Walnut- Slowish grower, pretty, and very good tree if given well-drained soil.
Chinquapin Oak- Nice oak- has purple acorns in the fall. Somewhat fast growing. Also needs good drainage.
Green Ash- Nice tree. Not the longest lived, but not short-lived, also sturdy and a fast grower.
Laurel Oak- These are only going to do well in Sandy Acid soil suck as East Texas. In those conditions, they're quite pretty.
Nuttall Oak-
Overcup Oak-
Sawtooth Oak- Very fast grower. Leaves stay on all winter long. Needs deep soil without rocks.
Southern Red Oak- See below*
Water Oak- I'm not a fan of this one- they don't like freezing much. Needs sandy acid soil.
Willow Oak- Like the water oak, like sandy acid soil.

* Okay, this one's tricky because a lot of nurseries confuse this common name.
If this is Quercus Shumardii that's a Texas or Shumard Red Oak. Sometimes they mis-identify this as Southern Red Oak. Quercus Shumardii is great for the alkalai clay soils around here.
If this is Quercus Falcata, that's a true Southern Red Oak and it will not survive in the local alkalai clay/white rock soils here. IT would do fine in the sandy soil in east Texas.

Now, that said, let's go board- put out the word. GW here has what I consider to be a generous offer and several of those trees would be great locally, plus some of our members might have connections leading east that might make use of the others.

It is not our part to master all the tides of the world, but to do what is in us for the succor of those years wherein we are set, uprooting the evil in the fields we know so that those who live after may have clean earth to till.

Post subject: Thanks
PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2003 2:08 pm 

Thanks for your help! I think I have found a home for all the honey locust and northern catalpa trees. But I still need to find a home for all the others. Oh, and I decided I will give away the Water Oak too.

Post subject: Homes for Trees
PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2003 12:50 am 

Just thought I'd mention that lots of schools and churches need more trees on their property but can't afford to buy them. You might ask around in your area if any of them need the trees that are left.

8) Cool that you took the time to find all the trees a home! 8)

Kathe