It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:20 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: ComposTumbler
PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2003 2:12 pm 

Hi All!
I have had an interest in the ComposTumbler that is purchased through the mail. It's the one that is on a metel frame and has a handle to turn. It's expensive but it would keep wild animals out of the pile and looks like it would be easier to turn and use. Does anyone have experience with this composter?

Post subject: Re: ComposTumbler
PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2003 4:21 pm 

Liz,

No, I've not had any experience the the tumblers but should ask the question; given the total cost of a unit, how much good compost could you buy?

Could you describe your current compost container? Maybe I can help with some suggestions/design to keep the criders out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2003 8:31 pm 

Thanks for your response. I live on 18 acres and have lots of oak leaves to compost as well as kitchen waste. I currently have 2 compost piles. One is in a compost bin that is in the vegetable garden area. The other is just a pile that I throw clippings and garden debris into. We have racoons, possums, squirrels and dogs that get into the piles if I put food scrapes into them. I'm also a little concerned about the coyotes but I haven't actually seen them in the compost pile. The maker of the ComposTumber claims that you can make finished compost in 4 to 6 weeks. I really dislike turning the pile and find the idea of a crank handle more appealing. I use a lot of compost in my flower beds and vegetable garden.
Thanks again for your input.
Elizabeth

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2003 8:57 pm 

I purchased a double 10-bushel tumbler because I had a small backyard and needed all the space I could get. This was raised off the ground and I could store stuff under it.
It was pricey, if fact, overpriced, but I liked it. I sold it to the president of the Dallas Organic Garden club and she is very happy with it.
Let me know if you have other questions.
Tony M

Post subject: Compost Tumbler...Sold
PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2003 8:13 am 

Liz,
Sounds like you just sold yourself a tumbler.

:idea: When it arrives, take it to a welding shop and ask them if they could make another one like it for you. I'd be interested in what price they would charge.

Those guys like projects. :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2004 7:58 am 

:P I am new to the board, so I may not be doing this reply correctly.
:) I have the compost tumbler, and I love mine. It works great. You just add what you want to add and turn the crank. It is not hard to turn, just kinda bulky.

Post subject: Welcome
PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2004 8:22 am 

I.P.Lott, :oops:

Welcome to the board and your reply was done correctly.

I might suggest a couple of things:
1] Go to the Meet and Greet forum and introduce yourself there.
2] Add some data to your profile ie: City and State would help a lot based on your questions. Not all areas can have the same answer.
3] Add an automatic personal signature to your post.
4] Remember, you are always welcome to use the PM (Personal Mail Icon) if you feel it's needed.

Post subject: ComposTumbler
PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 11:23 am 

Has anyone had more current experience with the ComposTumber? We have three compost piles, but they seldom get turned. I'm not able to do it myself. This ComposTumbler looks like I could turn it, but I do hate to part with those dollars if I don't have to.

Comments, please.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 1:33 pm 

Elizabeth - I have had my ComposTumbler for 15-20 years now. I believe I paid around $500 at that time. I'm a sucker for infomercial type of things...
They are way overpriced and over hyped, but the great thing I like about mine is that you can use them as a mixer for all types of things since it has fins inside of it. I mix fertilizer, lava sand, etc, and it comes out perfect.
It's easy to turn even with the weight in it. It has pretty much stood up to being outside, only showing rust around the door opening (a design flaw).
I agree with Zip - it would be interesting to see how much someone could make one. Basically, it's just a round cylinder with small fins in it, and rollers to turn it.
They are very hard to find used, plus are huge and bulky so it is impractical to ship already assembled unless you find it local and have a truck to transport.

Good luck if you get one. It would be interesting to see how you like it.

Pat - I have not had much luck making compost, but I'm sure it's 99% me. Just throwing stuff in there and hoping for a miracle doesn't work ! They say you have to turn it every day. Every day ?? :shock:
But, please don't let me discourage you or anyone.
I would love to hear from people who actually gets compost to come out in 14 days. I would love to learn their secrets...

Kevin

Post subject: Tumbler
PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 6:41 am 

Kevin, thanks for the info. I'm thinking I'll take a picture to the welder at the Farmers Coop and see if he thinks he can make one. If so, I'll let you know.

pakin

Post subject: compost tumbler
PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 2:38 pm 

I have had my compost tumbler only one year but I really like it. The question was asked, "do you have to turn it every day?" Only if you want compost in 14 days. If you're not in that big of a hurry, several times a week will do. It is MUCH easier to turn than regular composting, I must say!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 8:48 pm 

Dirtyknees -
So, what's your secret to making compost in it ?
Do you shred leaves etc beforehand, put mollasess or other accelerator...
Do you sprinkle a little soil in it to boost the micro organisms ?
Do you water it down every few days ?
Do you check the temp and quit turning once it starts to cool down ?
Lots of questions huh..
:wink:

Maybe I'll crank mine up again and see what happens.

Post subject: compost tumbler
PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 9:55 am 

I don't add soil, but we have chickens and goats, so I do add manure. Water daily and turn daily. I have added dried molasses. Look at the booklet that came with yours. Good info.
Happy composting.

Post subject: compst tumbler
PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 9:58 am 

Check the temp daily. If it is not heating, add water and tumble. It should steam up.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2006 6:47 am 

I too have been debating on purchasing one of the compost making tunblers. Here is a link with some very good comparisons of various copost tumblers www.motherearthnews.com/Nature_and_Envi ... t_Tumblers