It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:53 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: paperwhites
PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2003 10:42 pm 

I moved a number of bulbs from house in Phoenix and planted in Sept here in Lampasas, they are already up and starting to bloom. I just left them in the ground there year round, despite the heat and they thrived and multiplied. Can I leave them inground here and expect the same results as Az? So far the deer and squirrles are leaving them alone.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2003 11:11 pm 

I usually pull mine for indoor forcing but left a few outside last winter - they and the Amaryllis I left in the ground accidentally did just fine - they were in my rose beds with a pretty heavy cover of compost and mulch. I used a fertilizer this year in the rose beds with rock phosphate and the bulbs really expanded - big time.

Unlike Arizona we have this weird stuff here called 'rain' - makes it necessary to make sure you don't plant them in a spot that stays soaking wet or the bulbs tend to rot a bit...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2003 10:36 pm 

Yes, I forgot about the rain,a lady in San Marcos told me the same thing yesterday. I might just leave them inground just to see what happens, thank you!

Post subject: Paperwhites
PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2003 12:37 am 

My paperwhites often bloom in October and again in Feb., especially if given some organic fertilizer. They will need to be divided every two or three years or they will stop blooming. I always plant the ones I force indoors and they do well, even though it is usually suggested that they should be discarded. One mans trash...