It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:53 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Wild Onion
PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2003 11:23 pm 

I have a lot of wild onion on my yard. I dug them up every early spring; but with all that hard works, it does seem to to work. I found the article about wild onion on this wed page on 11.08/03, someone suggest to kill them by appling molasses. I like to know when would be best for the application?. Any other way to get rid of wild onion? Please advice. Thanks :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2003 2:28 pm 

When you dug them out, did they have a bulb on them or smell oniony? If not, then they were likely a wild flower and not an onion.

If you want to get rid of them, that's a tough one. They don't have leaves, just a stalk. You might try using a WeedHound on them and pluck them out. WeedHounds are fast to use and should work well on any tap rooted weed.

Post subject: wild onions
PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2003 6:51 pm 

A very fertile yard will kill out wild onions. That is why you heard about molasses. I don't know the spread rate. It would be at least 20# per 10,000 sq. ft. using dry molasses, probably more. The molasses tends to rot the wild onions & other undesirables. Personally, I like them. Smell great ? when mowing. There may be more info. on the web site; Howard has covered this on his radio show. I would wait until after winter when the onions are actively growing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2003 10:31 pm 

II have two words for you “Good Luck”. I have been fighting a false garlic or wild onion type plant in one of my front planting beds for 9+ years. To date, I have not been able to vanquish this plant. Over the course of the years, I have tried the following tactics:

• Heavy (4-5”) mulching with cedar mulch – Does not faze this plant
• Manually digging out the “bulbettes” – Luckily due to the relative health of the soil and the pounds and pounds of amendments this is a rather easy task. It is however, time consuming and frustrating as it is relatively ineffective.
• Orange Oil/Vinegar Spray (repeated daily/weekly) – Initially this “kills” the tops, but the plant bounces back rather quickly when spraying stops.
• HEAVY applications of dried molasses (repeated weekly) – Though I’m sure the beds appreciated it, NO effect on the plants.
• Several layers of newspaper and corrugated cardboard, topped with a heavy cedar mulch in spots and lava rock in other areas. – As soon as the cooler weather and rains began, I am seeing the tops pop through again.

KHWOZ, do you speak from first hand experience, or just something you heard? I will match the fertility of this bed with any. Again 9 years of compost, lava sand, greensand, humates, organic fertilizers, Medina (organic snakeoil IMO [putting flamesuit on]), not to mention all of the "composted" cedar mulch etc. etc. etc. In my own experience, soil fertility has nothing to do with the presence of or elimination of this plant.

Post subject: wild onions
PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2003 1:12 pm 

Mr. Clean, no I am not speaking from first hand experience. The info. I provided was from Howard's radio show, other people & this discussion board. I don't object to the plants myself so I don't try to kill them (other than mowing). I'm wondering if applying strong liquid molasses mix to the plants would work?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2003 1:38 pm 

KHWOZ,

I'm not sure when you heard this topic covered on Howard's show, but I was a caller back in January regarding this very topic. From Howard's answer, I don't believe he has first hand experience either as he suggested I "try" the molasses approach. He did not differentiate between liquid or dried material. I did try the dry material repeatedly and it was totally ineffective in controlling this plant. I am still seeking a control.

Post subject: wild onion
PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2003 6:29 pm 

http://www.dirtdoctor.com/view_question.php?id=139

mr clean, if you keep digging them up, where do they keep coming from?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2003 7:44 pm 

If you ever have the opportunity to try to quell a plague of this plant, you'll find that some of the "bulbettes" are quite small. I don't think it is possible to get them all dug out. Some are smaller than a BB, and as you dig around many get shuffled about and re-deposited.