It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:37 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: birds
PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2003 6:36 pm 

Put your feeders where they are sheltered & there is quick cover for the birds if an enemy arrives. I would also use a feed mix that included nuts & black sunflower seeds (the striped ones aren't as good). This will increase the variety of birds at your feeder. Keep in mind that too large a nut will clog some feeders. Nuts also attract squirrels :evil: so you need to take measures against that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2003 8:29 pm 

No song birds since August? That sounds very strange. Where do you live? Is it fairly well wooded in your neighborhood? How far is it outside of your immediate area before you start to see birds again? I can't imagine how even a few birds of prey would keep all of the others birds away for that length of time.

~Dave

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2003 11:45 pm 

Predatory birds scare the bejeebers out of the others, if a family of just about any raptor moves in the littluns hide. An exposed feeding location is like stealing for a smart hawk...

You will get'm back now that it is fall, might consider a birdbath too.

Post subject: birds
PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2003 9:43 am 

I should have added to my previous post that the number of birds in my area is less at this time of year also. I think this is normal at this time of year. Some birds migrate and there seem to be a lot of wild seeds that nature provides. I am starting to hear & see a few different birds also. I have a lot of raptors in my area yet this doesn't keep birds from the feeders since I have good tree cover available.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2003 8:56 pm 

The fall "buffet" that Mother Nature offers is hard to top with a backyard feeder. The warm weather we have seen reduces the bird’s needs for nutrition so they are eating less and have more than enough to choose from.
Wait till the weather turns colder for a while and see if they return. A way to prove the population levels in your area statistically can be found at http://audubon.birdsource.org/CBCOutput ... elect.html.
Also, a lot of birds have died from West Nile after being bit by mosquitoes.
Tony M