It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:30 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2003 9:24 pm 

so i am gonna show my ignorance and how really poor we are here - - - if u can plant an acorn and get a tree does that mean that u can plant a pinecone and also get a tree? i really want trees on our property but am finding that the trees at the stores are really quite expensive. any ideas how i can get trees cheaply?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2003 7:33 am 

Honestly unless you're seriously anamoured of pine trees (there's really only 3 decent types for this area) I'd pick another sort.

Check around, I know a lot of people give away seedlings of their oaks, and so forth.

It is not our part to master all the tides of the world, but to do what is in us for the succor of those years wherein we are set, uprooting the evil in the fields we know so that those who live after may have clean earth to till.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2003 7:46 am 

Nina-
Pine cones have seeds but they are embedded within the cone. Stick with the acorns. Most trees are dropping them now and are free for the picking. Go to an older public park to avoid private property. Ask most any nursery for some 1-2 gallon used plastic pots that once had landscape plants in them. Shovel some dirt from your property in them and plant the acorns. Next spring you should be the owner of a forest.
Tony M

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2003 2:25 pm 

Thanks for the great info ya'll. So once i find some of these little seeds how do I plant them? Sideways? Pointy side up? Should I invest in special apparatus for this or can I just put them in a south facing window or do they need to be outside? Just curious how badly I can mess this up.

Ya'll are awesom :!:
Christina

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2003 9:24 am 

Howard's advice on planting acorns:
¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤
Wait until the acorns release from the tree but don?t allow them to lay on the ground long. Weevils find them fast, drill small smooth holes and eat the contents. To make sure these oak seeds are still viable, toss them in water. Those that float have already been ruined by the weevils. Throw them in the compost pile. Plant the good ones in the ground or in pots. The potting soil can be organic potting soil or native soil. Some of the latest research indicates that the heavier native soil is the best for the trees long term. Depth of planting can vary. Squirrels and some gardeners plant the acorns twice as deep as the seed is wide. Others, especially greenhouse growers plant the acorns right on the surface of the soil with half the seed exposed. Squirrels will be the biggest problem but can be kept at bay by covering the soil and acorns with lava gravel. The gravel will also help plant growth.
¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤

I'm thinking of growing a few Burr oaks from seed just for the heck of it. I'll be doing mine under a shop light in the garage, so there's no issue of squirrels there.

It is not our part to master all the tides of the world, but to do what is in us for the succor of those years wherein we are set, uprooting the evil in the fields we know so that those who live after may have clean earth to till.