It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 8:08 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2003 7:23 pm 

Today we found these flat, fuzzy caterpillers covering an area of one of our building walls. When I did an internet search to find out what the caterpillers were, I found that they were puss caterpillers. I also found that this year they seem to be all over the Metroplex. These are very nasty creatures, they have a venum that is worse than a wasp. They can cause severe reactions in people that may be sensative to insect bites. They look cute and fuzzy, so they are a danger to children. Here is a link to pictures and more information on these caterpillers.

http://www.bugsinthenews.com/puss_cater ... 092602.htm

If you click on the "encounter reports" link, you can read of several people in the Metroplex that have been "stung", and the effects.

The biological control for this infestation is reported to be Thuricide. Now I just have to find someplace that sells Thuricide.

Looking at them, I would not have thought they were a danger. I hope this information helps.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2003 8:22 pm 

In Ft Worth, I would try Marshall Grain to try and find Thuricide (aka Bt) or bacillus thuringensis- think that's how it's spelled. If you can't find any in Ft W, there's a feed store in Weatherford that sells it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2003 8:29 pm 

Thanks, that's where I get my Anti Fuego.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2003 9:20 pm 

I think one of these buggers is what got me the other day.

Lowes has Thuricide - they seem to be expanding their organic shelf space so support that and let the mgt know you shop there because they carry organics... the more they hear that, the less shelf space for the chemis.

Question? Does Thuricide make them suffer sufficiently? I am a vindictive gardner - that which bites me, God's creature or not, gets the nastiest and most painful death i can think up.

Post subject: very very painful!
PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2003 6:47 am 

These buggers have been a nuisance to me all summer! Just last weekend I was sitting in the yard pulling out weeds and thought that I must have sat down on some stickers and I kept moving my leg. Yeah, well......after about five minutes then the pain set in and I had over 35 welps on the back of my leg where it had moved around. Unfortunately, I must be allergic to these as it took two doses of Benadryl and lots of ice applied to the owies to make it all better. Needless, to say i will be buying this Bt stuff this weekend and applying it liberally all over my yard! Is there anything else I can do to make them feel the pain they have inflicted here?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2003 11:58 pm 

Nina- simple, take a toothpick, spike the little S.O.B. next to a fireant mound and then coat with molasses.

sometimes ya just gotta let'm know who is meaner.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2003 7:07 am 

We applied Thuricide (BT) on Friday. Mixed 8 oz/25 gallons of water and sprayed the infested area and all of our other hedges. On Saturday we found a couple more of the caterpillars, but by Tuesday they seem to be gone. Either the Thuricide worked, or they all turned into moths and flew away :lol: Only found two cocoons so I am betting on the Thuricide.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2003 9:17 am 

Chuck,
Your dastardly plan has one fixable flaw - fire ants hate sugar. Just leave the molasses off and you have an award winning plan! :D :D :D 8)