It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:30 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Loblolly Pines
PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2003 11:03 am 

I've got 4 very tall Loblollies in my front yard (older neighborhood in N. Arlington) as do several of my neighbors. I would like to plant some more, but none of the nurseries in the local area carry them. Evidently, they were a popular tree to plant 25-30 years ago around here...

Are there any nurseries anyone knows of in the area that sell Loblollies or how far east would I have to drive (into the piney woods) to find some?

I just love the way they look and they are the reason I bought this house. My neighbors all say the same for our neighborhood, everyone loves the tall pine trees, intermingled with all of the other large trees found in our neighborhood. I am a tall pine tree fan. Thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2003 8:33 pm 

Check the business directory on this site and make a few phone calls to the nurseries listed.
Tony M

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2003 6:19 am 

I have several seedlings coming up in my yard from the many parent trees. Of course, they'll take awhile to get big, but if you can't find any other source.....

You might want to try to a local arboretum or contact a rep from TX Park & Wildlife.

Post subject: Loblollies
PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2003 10:45 am 

Lil, thanks for the offer. I found some seedlings selling online, so we'll see how they look when they get here. None of the nurseries in this area carry them I've found out. I guess they grow too fast for them. For that matter, can't find anyone who has Sycamore trees either. (found them online too). Anyway, thanks again.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2003 2:34 pm 

There may be a reason why they don't sell loblolly there.

They may get big and big fast, but how long will they live??

50 yrs is short for a tree. That is what happens to most loblolly in Austin. Usually less time than that. There will always be "microsites" and exceptions.

Fine if that is what you want. Just know it may be a possibility. Personally, I like the thought that trees should be a legacy for future generations and not a liability for your retirement nest egg.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2003 10:24 am 

Well, 50 years is a good amount of time for a tree, and there are few "legacy" trees that really thrive in Texas short of Live Oaks and Mesquites. Live Oaks are everywhere and we just had something infect them in the area and half the trees died. So much for long living trees. I say, plant them if you like them and keep in mind, nothing is forever, just plant more trees when some of them die off. My .02 worth.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2003 11:56 am 

Well, according to Howard, Loblolly is great in the sandy acid soils, which are found more in east Tx. Apparently they're not great here.

Eldarica, Austrian, Japanese black, Italian stone are all recommended much more highly for the north Texas areas that are predominantly alkaline high calcium clay soils.

It is not our part to master all the tides of the world, but to do what is in us for the succor of those years wherein we are set, uprooting the evil in the fields we know so that those who live after may have clean earth to till.