It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:17 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Master Gardeners Program
PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2003 8:32 am 

I am a novice at organic gardening but willing and eager to learn. I would love to take some classes. I also hear lots about Texas Master Gardeners and would like to know how to become one. I live in Parker County.

Also, what books and other resources do I need to acquire to gain the best information about organics, besides continuing to check this wonderful website and resource.

David

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2003 1:06 pm 

:D Check this out:
http://www.dirtdoctor.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1122

The Laws of Ecology:
"All things are interconnected. Everything goes somewhere. There's no such thing as a free lunch. Nature bats last." --Ernest Callenbach

Post subject: master gardners
PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 3:13 pm 

Hello,
I live in South Carolina and took the Masters Gardeners class here.You will recieve a exellcent manuel.I was taking this class at the same time as being slowly injured at work,but by having having the manuel can hopefully retain the information again.Well worth the investment.
LAP

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 5:05 pm 

Yes, a Master Gardener manual is a good reference tool. :) The one for Texas, however, suggests the use of synthetic fertilizers and pesticides. :( I was actually able to purchase one without taking the course, although I am sure the course would be more educational, I would not agree with their advocating toxic substances. My goal is to assist in the creation of an organic MG program. I believe it will be a great success. :D

The Laws of Ecology:
"All things are interconnected. Everything goes somewhere. There's no such thing as a free lunch. Nature bats last." --Ernest Callenbach

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2003 7:33 pm 

It would be really nice to have an "Organic Master Gardener" program.

Susan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2003 12:15 am 

Nadine - y'know what is really needed 9and may well exist for all i know) is a complete list of organic alternatives for each chemical product along with about a one page, simple, no big words description of what it is about the chemical product that is bad.

I have noticed that if you ask for organics at some stores they look at you like you are slightly dangerous and avoid sudden movements near you :roll:

This would be a good thing - especially if it included links to studies etcetera - I'm thinking e-book.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2003 7:39 am 

chuckfranke wrote:
...I have noticed that if you ask for organics at some stores they look at you like you are slightly dangerous and avoid sudden movements near you... :roll:

If they looked at me like that, I'd just smile sympathetically and go to one of the advertisers here on the board. (Or you could look at them like this: :shock: and run, don't walk, out of the store -screaming optional). :lol:
http://www.dirtdoctor.com/businesstest.php
What I have found for you is not exactly a list of the bad things with a list of the acceptable things you should use in place of it, but...
http://www.dirtdoctor.com/view_question.php?id=115
Then a list of things and what they are good for is here:
http://www.dirtdoctor.com/org_research.php
Hope this helps! :wink:

The Laws of Ecology: