It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:44 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Cedar Elm
PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2003 9:35 pm 

I have Cedar Elms (I think). It's the tree some refer to as the Texas trash tree. Anyway, my neighbor came over the other day and said he bought some spray to put on his trees because the one in his backyard was looking really bad and had this blueish fungus on the trunk and branches supposedly caused by it raining so much (his words). He was just telling me I may want to go buy some since my trees have some of this blue fungus, too. The leaves on the trees are brown, but I see new leaf growth also. All three of my trees have lots of leaves, even though most of the leaves are brownish or turning brown right now with some new green leaf growth. Do I need to do something? Is this blueish fungus really a bad thing? If so, how do I treat?

Thanks for any and all help...
Jody

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2003 7:52 am 

Well, my rule of thumb for unwanted fungi is this:

If you're fairly certain you need to get rid of fungus, don't make things worse by adding some nasty chemical to the mix. Use either some corn meal, some potasium bicarbonate, or some baking soda. Any of these will kill of the fungi, while also being beneficial ot the plantlife in question.

It is not our part to master all the tides of the world, but to do what is in us for the succor of those years wherein we are set, uprooting the evil in the fields we know so that those who live after may have clean earth to till.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2003 7:02 pm 

Thanks! I have a hose sprayer like the miracle gro ones sold. How much baking soda should I put in it? I don't want to overdo anything....I new at all this.

Much appreciation,
Jody