It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:26 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2003 4:28 pm 

I just officially read about these hatefull pests on the Internet and am quite certain that it was a "nest" of yellow jackets I aggitated with my motorized edger, the results of which were multiple stings for me. Now, if these things do live in the ground and if they are something I want to, ahem, "take care of", how is it done? First of all, I can't see the opening to their underground quarters as there is a rather large growth of asian jasmine covering the general area. Do you think DE should be applied liberally (that would be me throwing huge handsful at the general area and running away as fast as I can), or what? I refuse to live in harmony with them, regardless of how beneficial they may be to the pollenization of plants in the area. That'll just have to be done by other flying things, or the wind.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2003 11:23 am 

Someone just wrote about this on a different forum, but the jasmine does complicate it for you. I would watch (from afar) very carefully to see if I could home in on where they are entering/exiting. You really need to pour some stuff into the hole directly.

The other poster suggested using 4-5 ounces of orange oil to a gallon of water and pouring that in (and running away). I would also suggest that maybe using molasses at 3 ounces per gallon might work. Both would work in different ways, and the molasses would be less harmful to other insects in the area. But you do need to find the hole first.

You might use a transmission funnel to pour into the hole. Transmission funnels are about 2.5 feet long, so that keeps you out of the hole directly. You should be able to get one at an auto parts store.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2003 7:45 pm 

I'm still contemplating my next move. I think I need a longer transmission funnel, like 10 feet! Anyway, I wonder if these ground dwelling wasps keep the same home year after year, or if they might move on? Seems like the cold of winter might be a better time to go scrounging around through the ground cover looking for a half inch diameter hole in the ground. Thanks for the tips on what to use when I do work up the courage.