It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:04 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Stained concrete
PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2003 9:13 am 

I just wanted more people to know about stained concrete. We are slowly doing this to our whole house and it is just wonderful! It is beautiful and cheap and, some feel the most enviro-friendly option to an already existing home.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2003 11:47 am 

If your are referring to the acid staining process, we have seen this process discussed in some of the free home magazines distributed here in the Dallas area. We are very interested, but have been discouraged by the reported mess and costs associated. Are you doing this yourself, or having it done?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2003 12:11 pm 

We are doing it ourselves. It is a lot of work but we did not do the acid stripping (I felt this would have been quite anti-enviro-friendly). You really must clean all that awful carpet glue off before you stain however or the stain will adhere to the glue which in turn chips off pretty easily. We simply did it with elbow grease, lots of water to soak the glue before stripping, and very diluted orange oil. Ecowise (store in Austin) offered us some solvent that didn't work any better than the orange oil and it was much more expensive. It wouldn't be worth the work if it wasn't such a long-lasting solution, so cheap, and such a lovely result. Someone who did it before said that newer carpet glue is a lot harder to get off than older carpet glue, so an older home would probably be alot easier to do. If you are building a new home, it seems that this would be the easiest way of doing it, before all that glue is put on in the first place. We put on a final sealant so the final result has kind of a sheen to it. I admire it every day! Also, when we were thinking about doing this we went to Lowes and I hated the stuff they had there for staining concrete. It is pretty nasty corrosive stuff. Especially, the "essential" acid stripping. This is probably what you were reading about. Ecowise had the safest stain on the market but it is almost impossible to find in a regular home-improvement store.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2003 2:39 pm 

amodekraft
Thank you for your reply. In a sense we would be a step ahead, as our carpet is over a pad layment and thus not glued down. Did you have to "sand" the slab surface to prepare it to accept the stain? I will look to the ecowise website and read what information they have.

Post subject: Stained concrete
PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2003 5:06 pm 

Does anyone know of a website that shows pictures of this process?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2003 1:20 pm 

I think the processes are carefully guarded secrets of the industry. Probably Home Depot has the stuff, though.

In San Antonio there was a limestone quarry where cement was manufactured for decades. The rock quarry is gone but the new Quarry Market shopping center is now in place. Many of the stores and restaurants there have stained concrete floors in different motifs. Very cool if you like the architectural detail.

Post subject: Concrete staining
PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2003 5:37 am 

What product did you use for the actual stain?

Thanks!

Linda

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2003 1:20 pm 

amodekraft-
Thanks for the detail provided above about this subject. I would like to ask you to do one additional thing. Please provide us with all the steps in the process and the materials used at each step. It would help if you could include a range of time involved. If you have the time this would help a lot of readers.
Thanks,
Tony M

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2003 9:11 am 

Sorry! I haven't been here in a few weeks! Sure!
It was all from ecowise

www.ecowise.com

To clean the floor after removing the carpet, we just used about 1 1:20 dilution of pure orange oil that we got at an organic nursery. We would soak the floor in the mixture for at least 10 minutes and scrape off the glue with a metal paint stripper. This took a while---we pealed while watching movies. Then wipe off the paint with a wet towel. Peel wipe, peel wipe. We washed the floor once all the paint was removed to remove the last traces of dust and other particles. The rest was very easy. You just paint the floor like you would a wall. We used 4 coats. Waiting a day between each coat. The first just tints the concrete, the third it starts to look really good. The forth is for good measure. Then we added the final coat which makes it shiny.

OS COLOR WOOD & CONCRETE STAIN for the color

VELVIT OIL INTERIOR & EXTERIOR WOOD STAINS for the sealant

Do you need more info?