It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:32 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Suggestion: Profile
PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2003 9:59 am 

I like to suggest that members complete the profile form in particular, the 'where do you live'. I just might run into them one day.

Also that members who post a topic reply with an up-date to lets us know how things worked out. This would open a dialog amoung members.

Just a thought.

Post subject: profiles
PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2003 3:06 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Actually, I've had a few requests that we urge folks to fill out more info when they join. Of course it is a personal choice for each user, and we do respect everyone's privacy. It can be handy to know at least what gardening zone or area of the country/state you're in. This might be something good to put in your profile if you don't want to put your exact location. Users can always add additional information to their profile at any time - simply login, then click onthe Profile icon at the top of the page.

Follow-up posts would be great- and would help to add a lot more info/content to the board.
Thanks!

Post subject: Profile
PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2003 2:53 pm 

I received an email today requesting that I/we include more info in our profile. One thing was our zone. I have always had a problem with that. The "zone" is a "cold tolerance" and is useless in the DFW area. We need a "warm tolerance" or such. Also, there's some kind of zone map that splits vertically right down the middle of Fort Worth and Dallas, usefull in some gardening manner. How about an explanation of what is really usefull to this forum and such. I live in Midlothian, right smack dab in that middle between FtW & Dls. I do have black gumbo, but drive 6 miles up 287 to Mansfield, and it's red (think it's gumbo?). ? So, am I in zone 8a or 8b? And how usefull is that zone really? I hope this is clear. 8) :lol:

Post subject: gardening zones
PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2003 11:09 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Obviously, the gardening zone is only a basic guide - but its at least a start. It is also helpful to know what part of state/country you're in, what soil you have etc. There is a heat zone map as well, it just hasn't yet been publicized by the industry as much, so it is not as familiar to most home gardeners. You may want to search online for it. I could try to find a good visual copy online and post a link to it, so that if you do post your heat zone, folks can see where you are. If you know, or can determine, your heat zone - then please add it! As per requests from many of the users, I was simply trying to encourage folks to include whatever additional info they felt comfortable with to help determine the best answer to their question.

I would disagree that the cold hardiness zone is completely useless in DFW area. And there are subtle, but important, differences between somewhat similar zones believe it or not! For example, Blue Passion flower (Passiflora caerulea) can be evergreen year-round in zone 8b, but completely die down over winter in 7b and 8a. It really all comes down to your individual micro-climate. So yes, it may or may not apply given the situation. I think though that if a user chooses to include little or no additional info, then at the very least the gardening zone can be a helpful guide.

We do have users outside of Texas and we are encouraging this. We would love to have organic gardeners from all over the world participate. So basically, it would just be helpful to include whatever climatic/soil/environmental information you think is pertinent.

Thanks!

Post subject: Zones
PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2003 11:31 am 

First, I must correct a statement I made. Midlothian is not "smack dab" in the middle between Dls & FtW, as Arlington is. It's "smack dab" in the middle of the division of soil, between black and red. As I recall, Arlington was red sandy, and that's only about 20 miles from me. So in this area of Texas, there are many different types of soil - all within a few miles of each other. That makes it very confusing when discussing what plants do best in "our individual gardens". Rosemary is an example. I see it growing all around, but for some strange reason, doesn't grow for me. I'm still trying different varieties and placing them in different locations. What I am further stating about the "zones", whether cold or warm or horizontal or vertical - is that the maps are too small to get an exact location. The zone maps don't show towns, etc. And if as you stated, a plant will grow in 8b but not 8a, then it becomes critical for us to know the exact location of our town on that map. Does anyone know how to get those maps big enough and showing towns, roads, etc.? :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2003 11:38 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Hmmm, I'm not sure - I'm not sure I've ever seen a copy of either cold/heat hardy map that really had ALL the cities/towns shown on it. You're right - if they do, then they are very small. I think in most cases, the general zone, a good description of your soil type, and exposures, etc. will probably be good enough.