It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:36 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: How to remove bees
PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2003 8:35 am 

I have a pretty aggresive hive a bees living in the ground by a gas meter in my alley. I need to remove them because I'm replacing my fence. I spoke to a bee keeper and he said that what I have is something the State of Texas calls a "southern yellow jacket" for lack of a better name. He said they were pretty aggressive bees and if you get stung by them you will have some pretty bad swelling that will last about 4-5 days. I can attest to this as I got stung by a couple of them last month. He said that I need to mix up a 5 gallon bucket of insecticide and water and wait until night time to pour the mixture down the hole to kill them. He suggested diazanon or pyrethrum. Does anyone have any suggestions of a less toxic alternative that will still get rid of these aggressive little bees?

Thanks,
Rodney

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2003 9:53 am 

rpoldrack-
Wait till nighttime when all the bees are back in the hive and when they are reluctant to fly. Mix up a watering can full of orange oil and water. I would say 5-6 oz/gallon. Bring a flashlight so you can hit the hole directly and pour it in. If they start to come out you can shove the skinny spout in the hole and flee. You may have to do this more than once if it is a big hive.
Tony M

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2003 12:19 pm 

Only thing I'd add to that is to a a touch of molasses (basically to help the stuff stick to the bugs) and when you're done pouring, you can place the upside down bucket on top of the hole.

Let us know how it works out for you.

It is not our part to master all the tides of the world, but to do what is in us for the succor of those years wherein we are set, uprooting the evil in the fields we know so that those who live after may have clean earth to till.