It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:35 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: greenhouse question
PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2003 3:28 pm 

greenhouses may not be an option for me.Had went to ext. office here to get some info. and was told it is impossible to operate a greenhouse without chemicals.If this is untruthful info please let me know.Do you know of anyone who is propgating in a greenhouse with alt. in every phase of a plant buisness that does it successfully without any chemicals?

LAP

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2003 3:34 pm 

That is totally BS! I wish non-organic gardeners and so-called county extension experts would stop lying about what we organic guys can or can not do!

My friend and I are 100% totally organic no-till farmers. We have a 10'x20' greenhouse made from PVC pipes and plastic sheets and transparent fiberglass tiles.

We heat it with a cheap electric heater in the winter, only when outside temps get below 40 degrees F.

We feed all our transplants in the greenhouse teas made from aerated compost tea or fish emulsion or seaweed tea.

We keep pests and diseases off our plants with aerated teas or seaweed tea or sulfur powder or corn meal. Maybe garlic/hot pepper teas only if necessary.

The entire Kingdom of God can be totally explained as an Organic Garden (Mark 4:26)
William Cureton

Post subject: green houses
PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2003 4:09 pm 

I am so happy to hear this.!!!!! Thank-you. I am hopeing to gather all the info. that to make this a possible dream. I really do not want to go on disability,if I can not come up with a plan of what can do rest of life and not be around chemicals will be doomed.This is very isolating illness but do pretty good if stay on non toxic farm.I read as much as I can on your wonderful site however it takes me a little longer to understand due to the chemicals attacked my brain.If I go through all the posts here will I have the info. I need to do a chemical free operation ? Again thank-you it means more than you realize.THANK-YOU
LAP

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2003 8:49 pm 

Lou Ann-
I commend you for not listening to one of the organizations that is partially funded by the chemical boys. There are plenty of greenhouses in and around Dallas that don't use chemicals. However, when you are growing ill adapted plants, in forced conditions, trying to make them do things they are not naturally adapted to do, you might not wonder why they use chemicals. The whole operation is artificial!
There is a big demand for native plants in every state. I don't know anything about the flora in South Carolina but you should be able to search the web for free info. My point is, if you grow natives they don't need pesticides and fungicides and miticides etc, and they respond well to organic care.
Tony M

Post subject: green house
PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2003 9:22 pm 

Lou Ann: Go to www.oceangrown.com It is possible to grow hydroponically - with out dirt. Ocean water (comes in a concentrate) is the perfect fertilizer. It comes with beneficial bacteria, enzynes, amino acids, 92 trace minerals. I now grow wheat grass in the house and it doing very well. I am also using it on my pastures. You will find that ever thing grows better - not bigger - with better taste and complete nutrition. If you will get a copy of Dr. Murray's book and look at the research he did 50 years ago you will wonder why we as a society have let large corporations kill us with chemicals. Did you ever think why fish in the ocean never have cancer and/or tumors and fish in lakes and streams, and people on land have lots of cancer and tumors. It is the 92 trace minerals, enzymes, amino acids, etc from the sea water.
You can get his book from www.acresusa.com
Good luck and stay away from chemicals - remember "Better Living through Chemistry" is better for Monsanto, ADM, Cargil, Tyson, Dow, etc --- not "us"
Robert D Bard