It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:52 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2003 12:54 pm 

We're in the very early stages of thinking about having an in-ground pool constructed. Before I get contractors out to the house making me all sorts of promises, I want to find out what sort of problem tree roots might present. Our backyard is average size (think typical small suburban lot) with a slight slope, and three mature live oaks (two in one back corner and one in the other.) I have two concerns:
1) Would pool construction kill my trees? What sort of radius around the trees should we avoid any digging?
2) Will the trees eventually cause big problems with the pool... i.e. cracks, leaks, etc.

Any insight you can provide would be extremely welcome. We've been completely organic for several years now, thanks to Howard, and trust this site to give us the straight story. Thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2003 4:15 am 

Cindy-
Both your concerns are quite valid. Mature live oaks have roots that extend well into your small yard. It would be impossible to dig without compromising the health of those trees. How much is a guess.
If you WERE successful, live oaks have acorns. How many acorns have you seen in a typical year? I've seen thousands on a single tree, you have a trio. Not only would it be hard to get the acorns out of the pool but they could possible stain the plaster. The clean up part is a chore you may be willing to do for a cool summer dip. The digging around the trees is a real risk.
Tony M