It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:56 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Fireants in feed!
PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2003 10:03 am 

I just did battle with fire ants in my horse feed by the millions (overnight). Ikeep my feed in large plastic trash cans with good lids, and it had not been a problem. There were so many, I was covered before I saw them. After my little dance, I found a small amount of feed in my nearly empty can to feed that they hadn't gotten into, but what could I use to get rid of them that wouldn't kill my horses? I've fed DE for along time ,so I just grabbed a handful of it and slung it around the top of feed in the can, also around base of can and lid. All it seemed to do was disturb them, but later when I checked to see if I was going to have to buy new feed, THEY WERE GONE!
And they have not come back! :D I also put some around and under the cats food dishes, and it worked there too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2003 1:14 pm 

runninhorsegal-
We have three outside cats that do a little hunting on our farm but mostly wait for the feed bell to ring. We elevated their bowls on top of a plastic bin and spread DE all around the base of the bin. The area is out of the elements so one dusting works a long time. No ants!
Tony M

Post subject: DE
PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2003 5:42 pm 

Just a tip. I had a problem with ants in my greenhouse getting into the potted plants. I spread DE on the shelves where I set the plants and the ants took off and stayed off! It's not that the ants were causing any harm; people don't like to buy plants with an ant infestation.

Post subject: stupid question
PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2003 9:29 am 

I'm new to this--what is DE? I've got the same problem and would love help!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2003 10:08 am 

cowgirl chef-
No stupid questions here. DE is diatomaceous earth, commonly used as a
non-selective contact killer. DE is the fossilized remains of single-celled creatures called diatoms. Each fossil has sharp edges that irritate and deter soft-bodied insects. The material abraids the exoskeleton of insects, causing dehydration and death. Effective on cockroaches, silverfish, ants, fleas, slugs and most other insects. Insects cannot become immune and will die within 48 hours of contact. It is safe around children, pets and wildllife, long lasting, odorless, non-staining. Try not to breath the dust.
I also use it in the feed of my chickens, dog, cats and goats to assist with worming and overall health. It is in many food products we eat also.
This is different than the DE used for swimming pools which does not work due to the chemical treatment processing it goes thru.
Go to, http://agorganics.com/products.html?id=12&pId=95 for more info.
Tony M