It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:34 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2003 4:59 pm 

I have an established Bermuda lawn. Last fall I overseeded with Perennial Rye. My lawn was beautiful all winter and the following spring. I really liked the outcome of overseeding with Perennial Rye. When I purchased the Perennial Rye seed, I was told that it really wouldn't live in my area (DFW Metroplex) much past June. The problem I now have is that not all of the Perennial Rye dyed out. (It actually tried to live up to it's name) The rye competed with my Bermuda and now I have a skimpy looking Bermuda lawn. If the rye would remain alive, I would be happy with that, but it has only survived in spots. I am told that the DFW area is about 200 miles south of the zone to where the grass would survive the summers.

I like the fine blade of the Pernennial Rye, the smooth even lawn appearance, but since it's hit and miss on survival, I really prefer for all of it to dye out and allow the Bermuda to grow once we start to have hot days.

Is there another type of rye that has a very small thin blade that I could use that would die out? Also is there a recipe that I could use to spray on the perennial rye to kill it in late spring?

Post subject: rye
PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2003 10:39 pm 

There multiple kinds of rye grass - gulf coast may be your best. The key for your bermuda grass is to cut the rye regularly in late spring. It will die. Gulf will probably die at the right time. Also cereal rye is supposed to die at the right time for summer pasture to take over.
Bob Bard