It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:36 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: chiggers chiggers.......
PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2003 2:28 pm 

tell me how to get rid of the chiggers...........

i have a new lawn and they are every where!!!!

craig

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2003 4:56 pm 

I wish I knew more about the lifecycle of chiggers. Do they live IN the soil or do they live on the plants?

If they live in the soil, then beneficial nematodes will work. They are designed to kill specific target insects. The bn that come on the blue sponge has a variety of bn to kill a variety of insects. I believe chiggers is on the list along with fire ants, grubs, and chinch bugs.

If they live ON the plants and not in the soil, then there is a new spray from Green Light called Bioganic. You have to actually hit the insect with this spray so it works great on bugs that live outside the soil. Here is a link.

http://www.greenlightco.com/Bioganic_Pr ... se_03a.pdf

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2003 8:51 am 

thanks for the help

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2003 9:05 am 

Chiggers love dry soil so keep up the moisture level. Sulfur is an easy and effective control. YOu can get wettable sulfur at almost any hardware or feed store and spray it on your soil to great effect. It's a helpful soil amendment too. Agreed on the Bioganic & then nematodes for continuous control, but you have to keep the soil wet enough to keep your plants healthy and the nematodes alive once you put them down.
Good luck! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2003 6:56 am 

Here's a link from TAMU that talks about the life cycle of the chigger.
http://insects.tamu.edu/extension/bulletins/L-1223.html

I wouldn't try to keep the area expecially moist. Moist areas are prime habitat for some of the common types of chiggers. But I would keep it cut if possible. And try the Sulfur. I haven't tried it, but I hear it's a good repellent.

Chigger don't travel far from the egg source. They usually just travel upwards to the end of grass stalks or plants. That's why two people can walk in a field and only one will get chiggers.

I read that you can put little squares of black paper out in a variety of locations. If chiggers are present, they will crawl on the paper and you will know that is an area to avoid or treat.

I have a question about Bioganic. What does it do to bees and other benefical types of insects? I've used it for cucumber beetle, but haven't found a single application to turn around a heavy infestation. I have been hesitant to use it repeatedly because of my concern for the beneficials, in particular the pollinators.

Marlyn

Post subject: Bioganic
PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2003 9:32 am 

Bioganic affects a nerve transmittor chemical called octopamine that is found primarily in insects. I share your concern for the pollinators, and like any other type of insecticide, would use this product only for a specific problem, to knock out the insects so they won't do so much damage and then amend the problem (if possible) to restore plant health. In the case of infestations like beetles (they are tough) I don't know that it would knock the problem out entirely in one application but I know it works on fleas because I used it on the yard in my new home and then applied beneficial nematodes to keep new fleas from hatching. I also spoke to a woman who used it to kill grasshoppers effectively. Hope this helps! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2003 9:36 am 

Senor,
In reading my original message again, I realized my choice of words may have unintentionally indicated that keeping soil extra wet was needed but what I actually meant was just what Marlyn said...keep the soil at the moisture level needed to keep your plants healthy, and no more. Besides, extra wet soil causes more problems!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2003 12:37 pm 

Bioganic must hit an insect directly to hurt them. If you spray when there are no bees, then the bees will not be harmed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2003 4:47 pm 

I guess I am officially hijacking this thread...

A friend of mine caught some cucumber beetles, put them in a jar and sprayed them with Bioganic. He said the beetles were fine several days later.

Dchall, you think that it's effective against all bugs but it has to hit the bug directly. What about a bug that eats a sprayed plant but isn't sprayed directly. You think it won't hurt it?

The Press Release (in the link you provided) says Bioganic both kills and repels insects but doesn't say if the bug needs to be directly sprayed or will be killed by eating sprayed foliage. It also doesn't say how long for it to take effect.

I would love to have some better info on how Bioganic works.

Marlyn

Post subject: Bioganic
PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2003 8:19 pm 

Just sprayed my magolia and pentas in my front flower bed. Have an infestation of while "unknown" pests. Sprayed them pretty good. Will let you know how the bioganic works.