It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 5:31 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Wasps in Live Oak
PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2003 1:58 pm 

For the past 2 years we have had a "swarm" of wasps return to a live oak tree in our front yard. There is no hive visible in the tree. Is there a way to safely get rid of the wasps and not hurt the tree?

Thank you!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2003 2:42 pm 

granberry-
Wasps are meat eaters, ie, bugs, so if you kill them you trade one problem for another. However, I understand that bugs don't sting like wasps so if you must kill them use a product called Victor poison free wasp and hornet killer. The main ingredient is mint oil. It will shoot a spray 12-15 feet. Wait till night when all the wasps are in the nest and, if you must, zap them. If you live in Texas, all the Lowe's stores carry this product in the organic section. If you can't find it, pm me and I will tell you how to get it on the internet.
Tony M

Post subject: wasps
PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2003 5:45 pm 

Why do you want to kill the wasps? They are very benefical. They do not sting unless bothered.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2003 10:40 am 

The only reason I want to get rid of the wasps is that I have 2 small children and am afraid they will get stung while playing by the tree.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2003 12:49 pm 

Paper wasps eat caterpillars. Mud dauber wasps eat spiders. It takes some patience and understanding to leave a wasps' nest alone. I work from my garage and have mud dauber nests everywhere. I also have both mud dauber and paper wasps on my back porch inside the screened in part. I've found that when you leave the wasps alone and don't get too close to the nest, they won't bother you. The real problem comes from wasps that might nest in the ground or lower in a tree.

I would try hard to live with the wasps. You'll have to educate your children. My 5-year-old got stung several times about 3 weeks ago. I was uncovering my old boat and the wasps had built a nest inside one of the port holes right where she was standing. Of course she cried and dad and mom had to explain how good wasps really are and that it was just an accident, yadda, yadda, yadda. I think she's back to normal now, except she's still a little shy to approach that port hole.