It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:18 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Where do I start?
PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2003 12:18 pm 

I have 3 flat acres with no trees and a bunch of grass burs(ouch). I am about to fence in the land and let the dogs have a much bigger play area. What should I do to get the lawn under control? My neighbor has the same amount of land across the street and uses spray chemicals. He is a retired Ag sprayer. his lawn looks great and no weeds, but I want to go natural. What is going to be 1. the most effective way to have a nice three acre lawn? or 2. The most price reasonable way to get started. I don't want to run goats on the property. I have thought about digging a pond but I am reluctant because it is sandy loam and I am afraid it wont fill up. Any ideas?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2003 6:57 pm 

Start by putting out molasses (dry or liquid) and then initiate the natural program that is explained on the web site. You'll beat your neighbor hands down.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2003 10:48 am 

One gallon of molasses per acre, three or four times a year. Remember that. The grass burrs don't like healthy soil and the molasses really seems to generate health. Molasses can be over-applied and cause problems, so just stick with the gallon per acre and you'll be fine. For those of you readers with smaller lots, that converts to 3 ounces of molasses per 1,000 square feet.

I apply molasses with a hose end sprayer. I know the size of my lot so I put the right amount of molasses in the sprayer and fill it the rest of the way with water. Then I spray as evenly as I can until the container is empty. I get perfect application every time. People complain about hose end sprayers not being accurate. Well, as long a mine turns up empty, that's all the accuracy I need.

You should be able to get molasses for about $0.11 per pound at a co-op. That's about $1.00 per gallon based on my rough scales. You have to bring your own container (old laundry soap bottles work). Or you can get it for $12/gallon with a brand name on it.

For further help, back out of this question and look at the second announcement at the top of the lawns forum. I wrote a 5-page set of answers to frequently asked questions about organic turf care. After you read that, then come back with your questions.

And you didn't ask about this but if it were me, I would look at turning 2 of those 3 acres into ground cover and shrubs that don't require water. You could have a totally organic landscape that rivals anything you see in Southern Living.

Post subject: Thank you both very much
PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2003 1:26 pm 

HG, Thanks for all your help you give your listeners. I am just thinking outloud here, but it would be a great idea for you to use my land as a clean slate for your new show called Monster Landscape. Based on the popular shows Monster Garage, and Monster House. You could sell the video series and help people with large landscapes realize, through video, how they can have great looking "Natural Way" acreage. I would be glad to provide food and drinks for the film crew and I can do the work under you guidance. What do you think?

Dchall, Thanks for your help as well. I will go back and read your post and hopefully find all the answers I am looking for. I think its great that you try and help people like me learn to take better care of our lawn.
P.S. you are welcome to come out and be part of this experiment also. If HG decided to do something like that. I have one other question. What do you mean by co-op? and Is there a list of the ground cover that is suggested for this region? I think it would be quite expensive to purchase enough plants to cover this much land. I am but a humble man of meager means. i am trying to think cheaply and finish this project in stages as $$ allows.

HG I hope you consider a project like this, I SURE do think its a good idea :lol:
Thank you both once again. JP

Post subject: Ground cover
PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2003 10:32 pm 

How about some nice clover? You can spread the seed easily and it helps put nitrogen into the soil. Fall is the time to plant so you're right on time. Easy, beautiful and a great way to start building it up to healthy level and get rid of those nasty grass burs! Yes, you can do this. My dad's acre out near Forney is MUCH better looking now that he went natural. His neighbors are green with envy! :D :D 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2003 9:17 am 

Thanks Kathe! I will look into clover.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2003 11:55 pm 

A co-op is a business often set up by farmers and ranchers to support themselves with supplies and services. I'm not sure but I believe some require membership. In some areas every feed store or farm and ranch store is called a co-op.

List of plants? I use the Sunset Western Garden Book, but I'm not very deep into non-grass plants. I belive Howard has at least one book out. There is a saying about ground covers...the first year they sleep, the second year they creep, and the third year they leap. Don't get discouraged if after the first year you don't have great results. They will come in.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2003 8:25 am 

Quote:
Dchall_San_Antonio wrote:

There is a saying about ground covers...the first year they sleep, the second year they creep, and the third year they leap.

Very good rule of thumb for me to remember. Thanks.