It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:00 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2003 8:01 pm 

:( We have what they call a crushed concrete driveway. Grass and weeds are always growing through and invading from the edges. We've been using Roundup. But it is costly and we're tired of pumping the sprayer. There's got to be a simpler and less expensive way of defeating this unwanted grass without pouring concrete or tar. Please help!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2003 9:34 pm 

Snowbugger-
I answered this same question in the general gardening section. You might want to try the search engine in the future, it could save you time and give you many more responses.
The organic way of killing weeds is with 10 or 20 percent vinegar. If you spray it on when the sun is out and the temp is above 70 degrees, you will have burnt weeds in minutes. Add a little orange oil and some liquid soap as a surfactant to increase it's effectiveness. If the weeds have a deep heavy root system it will take repeated applications. The key is to get them while they are small.
Tony

Post subject: Vinegar & Weeds
PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2003 9:14 am 

:? I've tried all kinds of vinegar/combos/5%,9%,10%,20%,apple cider, etc. with orange, soap, etc. on my asphalt driveway. Nothing works. I then go out with the weed eater, eat up a lot of nylon cord and two days later, the weeds are all back, greener than ever. Phooey! Go out in the middle of the day, 90º, 90% humidity, and a 120' driveway. Anyone got any GOOD ideas?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2003 6:08 pm 

:) The vinegar does work although it may take 2-3 applications for "older" large tough weeds. It will work though. I too have a crushed rock drive way and I get results that are at least as good with the vinegar as I did with roundup and it's a lot less expensive.

The other plus is that my kids don't have to be exposed to the herbicides when they play.

Spray when the sun is on the weeds, use full strength pickling vinegar (90 grain) and plan to respray in 4-5 days. Leave the weeds there until there is no more green re-growth then whack them with a weed-eater.

Within 2 weeks no more weeds. Good luck!! :wink: