It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:48 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2003 9:03 am 

I had read somewhere on this forum about starting tomatoe plants from clippings of plants already established. I tried this approach myself with diluted compost tea in a mason jar and stuck my clippings in it. After waiting for 2 weeks I see no roots forming. How long does this process take? Or should I do something diffrent? I tried it with some bell pepper plants I have but they just died after a week. : (

Thanks for any info,

Clipping in Springtown

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2003 11:17 am 

I've never even thought about this. Very interesting.

Here's some tips for you.
http://www.njtomato.com/growtip4.htm
Extending your Season - Your summer game plan...
People have asked, "Can I extend the tomato growing season?" If you feel, you have at least two months warm climate conditions before the first frost, then you can go for a Fall Crop.
This is what you can do for the 2nd Crop...

Look for some of the sucker shoots on your tomato plants that have a bud on them,
Cut approximately 8" of the sucker which includes the bud,
Remove the leaves from the shoot, don't touch the bud,
Put the stem in water for a couple of hours,
Plant these suckers directly into your garden. Make sure the soil is loose and moist. Mound the soil around the shoots,
Put a basket over the top of the cuttings (@5days) to protect it from the sun.
Water constantly for four days.
In the second week of your new plant growth... liquefy an organic fertilizer and feed once a week. If you live in N.E. US , figure mid October you will start getting tomatoes. They will be smaller but should taste great! If it starts getting too cool at night, think of putting a protective plastic to cover the plants at night. Remember, don't keep the cover on during the daylight hours. Also try staying away from the synthetic fertilizers... use organic nutrients!. By utilizing organic fertilizer, you will start a great base for next year's tomatoes!
As far as your initial cuttings are concerned, I have seen growers cut 10" off the top of the original plant, place the cutting in water for a couple of hours, plant, water and weekly fertilize. Try both ways, experiment, you'll like the results.

Also:
http://www.biocontrols.com/aero95a.htm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2003 6:55 pm 

Well - I did not know what I was doing - but it worked! I took the top 8-10" of the best looking parts of my best plants (Merced, Celebrity and Sweet 101's) and put them in some compost tea that I made by soaking some compost in water for about 2 hours...and with the hot Texas sun, kept adding water to keep them from wilting. By the second day, the wilting had slowed, but I kept adding water. Today is the fourth day, and I found that all the cuttings had developed roots and I have put them in peat 4"pots with home-made potting soil and compost and that I will plant in my raised beds when I have prepared the soil!
Will keep you updated on the progress of these plants -

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2003 7:45 pm 

WOW! thanks for the advice and the inspiration to try again. We canned all our spring tomatoes and would LOVE some fall ones as well.