It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 9:03 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Need trees in yard
PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2003 3:43 pm 

I am needing to plant a tree or 2 in my new front yard. It gets afternoon sun and is on the south side of my property. I would like something that grows fairly quickly, is well suited for Central Texas AND HAS GREAT FALL COLOR!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2003 5:05 pm 

Well...I went to look for a tree for you at this GREAT website, but I fell in love with all of them..There is a "Chisos Red Oak" which is said to thrive in alkaline, rocky soil and tolerates heat and has "spectacular fall color". The website is all about Texas Native Trees...and here is the URL:
http://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/ornamentals/natives/tamuhort.html
I hope you find the tree you want - and don't get lost in there like I did!

Post subject: Tree website
PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2003 8:36 pm 

Thanks for the website. I will check it out. I am new to gardening and trees. This is my first house and I want to do it right.
I'll try not to get lost in there.
:lol:

Post subject: Fast Growing trees
PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2003 2:49 pm 

The web site shown above is great but it contains Texas Native Trees. There are two other "non native" trees you should consider.

First is the Chinese Pistache and the second is the Shantung Maple. They are two of what I think are only 3 trees voted the "Texas Superstar" rating for trees that do great over the entire state. They both have spectacular fall color and are both easy to find. The Pistache has a small leaf, much like a pecan and the Maple is a middle sized Maple leaf that has great spring and fall color both. The new growth in the spring can be quite spectacular itself.

The shapes are rather different. The Maple is more straight up while the Pistache is more of an umbrella shape. You really might should have one of each.

I believe the third Texas Superstar is the Lacey Oak which is a mid sized oak with small leaves and a little smokier color than most. It should be on the Texas Trees list shown.