It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:55 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Odors and Zeolite
PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2003 8:20 pm 

Can you use Zeolite in the home, specifically the carpet. Saw a zeolite product at a pet store today- $16 for a 16oz can. I can buy a large bag for less. Want to put it on the carpet, then vaccum it up. Any reason not to? Will it work?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2003 9:10 pm 

Deondra

No reason not to that I am aware of. I don't use a lot of zeolite so I buy a product from Cycletrol called ZeoFresh Carpet Deodorizer. It is available in a 32 oz. containter. I don't recall what I paid for it.

Post subject: Re: Odors and Zeolite
PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2003 6:01 am 

Deondra wrote:
Can you use Zeolite in the home, specifically the carpet. Saw a zeolite product at a pet store today- $16 for a 16oz can. I can buy a large bag for less. Want to put it on the carpet, then vaccum it up. Any reason not to? Will it work?

I don't know if it maintains in all cases, but it seems to me that the zeolite products for carpets may have a considerably finer texture than the product one might find in large bags. You might want to look at the bagged product and see what you think before you buy it. It would seem that the finer texture would work better in carpet because of its better ability to penetrate and its larger total surface area, but I can't say that the bagged product wouldn't work.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2003 1:13 pm 

I have used zeolite and it works well, but I'm going to suggest an alternative. How about a spray of orange oil & water? I use that and it works very well, plus it cleans stains on my carpet! I mix the concentrate Orange TKO at a rate of 1 oz. per gallon of water. TKO also has the actual oil removed from it so that's an added benefit. If you live in Texas you can find it at most Lowe's stores. If you can't find it where you live, try searching at www.agorganics.com and get it there. Don't spray it on the carpet if it is an oriental rug with natural dyes, though. It'll degrade them. It also pocks plexiglass so don't spray that.

HOpe this helps! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2003 1:34 pm 

Have you already exhausted the baking soda idea? If you know where the smell is, dump a ton of baking soda on, sweep it in, and let it sit for a week or so. Then sweep up as much as you can.

If you want zeolite in bulk, cheap, and you live in Texas; go to H-E-B and check out their Hill Country brand of kitty litter. Look at the ingredients to be sure you have the one that is 100% zeolite. It looks like kitty litter, though and would not work in a carpet.