It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:45 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Garret juice?
PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2003 11:53 pm 

What is garrett juice and how did it get its name? Us LawnGuyLanders sometimes have a hard time keeping up with Southern terminology.

Fito

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2003 12:56 pm 

The Dirt Doctor, Howard Garrett, came up with Garrett juice. The recipe for it is posted elsewhere on the Dirt Doctor website. It is used as a biostimulant foliar spray for plants and veggies.

Malcolm Beck, at Garden-Ville, came up with the bottles and sells it ready to use. You can visit him at www.garden-ville.com.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2004 8:52 am 

Here is a link
http://www.dirtdoctor.com/view_question.php?id=204

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2004 11:58 pm 

Just an FYI.

For those of you who live in the Dallas/Garland area Rhode's has 20% off of their foliar juice through the end of February. 1 gallon @ $24.95 - 20% -> $19.96. The offer is available to people on their e-mail list, and I'm not sure if signing up now will get you the e-mail that needs to be printed for the offer. Call them up and ask.

~Dave

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2004 12:27 pm 

Does commercially available Garrett juice and similar products still have live microbes? It seems to me they would die due to lack of oxygen. I saw a product at Home Depot that claimed to have microbes, but I don't know how that could be.

Post subject: microbes
PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2004 7:00 pm 

It probably has microbes, dead or dormant ones. The Garrett Juice and other products of this type do much better if you aerate them a day or so before using. The aeration will cause microbes to grow quickly. Use an aquarium pump & air stone to aerate. Keep in mind that these products are still beneficial even if you don't aerate them. They provide nutrients to the plants and soil where microbes will flourish.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2004 7:08 am 

I have been told that some of the commercial compost teas and soil amendments have special lids that allow air passage into the container. I have also been told that the microbes are in a dormant state and that KHWOZ's advice for re-activating them is right on the mark.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2004 11:23 am 

Thanks Dchall! I was wondering how I was going to make it since I haven't started composting yet :lol: . Any idea how much they charge for the Garrett Juice?

Post subject: Garrett juice
PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2004 6:11 pm 

Make your own! It is much cheaper & you can adjust you recipe as needed. See links below for a lot of info.

http://www.dirtdoctor.com/view_question.php?id=204

http://www.dirtdoctor.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=742&highlight=garrett+juice

http://www.dirtdoctor.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1036&highlight=garrett+juice

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2004 12:53 am 

Sorry I missed the earlier reply to my post.

No, the Garden-Ville brand of Garrett Juice does not have living microbes in it. I've visited Garden-Ville and seen how they make their "tea." Mr Beck has tested his "compost tea" product and it does not contain living microbes. His "tea" is not a true tea, it is a leachate. In fact it is a highly filtered leachate. I think a homemade product would be a better product.

At our last organic garden club meeting, Malcolm announced that he and his wife recently acquired a brand new compost tea maker and do plan to sell true aerated compost tea at their local farmer's market. It will not be available for the shelf though because of the microbes and the very short shelf life. If that problem is solved, I would look for their product to be on the regular market.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2004 10:07 am 

I would LOVE to make my own. But, I just started my compost pile today. There is some compost at my parents house, but it is a bark only compost (It sat in a pile for 2 years). I figured that that is available to buy is mostly the same? Does the compost called for in the recipe need to be richer than that or will it do? Oh, and where do you get liquid seaweed? Can you make your own from that dried stuff you get at the health food store?

It seems like you have to have a healthy compost start to do this?
Sorry if I'm asking a lot of newbie questions.

Thanks for the heads up on the the bought stuff.