It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:34 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2003 4:29 pm 

I've read that bermuda grass will choke out Buffalo and would like to do what I can to get rid of it. Do you have any suggestions on how I can remove the Bermuda grass from my Buffalo Grass? I let the Buffalo grass grow as tall as it can get and only mow about two times a year. Will this discourage the bermuda? This is our second year w/Buffalo and have felt like weeds and bermuda came in with the sod. I love the way it looks in our country environment. Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2003 9:10 am 

silverado2312-
Bermuda is one of the most invasive weeds we have. There is not way to stop it in a competing turf situation. If you keep the conditions ideal for Buffalo, for example little water and fertilizer, the bermuda will have a harder time succeding in those conditions. On the other hand, I've seen bermuda grow in the road. I have two areas with buffalo where weeds have invaded because of partial shade but not bermuda yet.
Tony M

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2003 9:48 am 

I'll start off by saying that I'm extremely biased.

Buffalo grass sucks! The promotion for buff reminds me of the back-of-the-Parade-magazine ads for zoysia. It is not at all what seems to be advertised. It is a thin, weedy grass that, if you want it to look good, takes exactly as much time, material, water, and effort as St Augustine does.

If you don't mind having that prairie look, then go for buff. If you want a grass you can enjoy, go for anything else (except zoysia). If I were just moving into your house with that yard, I would mow low (1/2 inch) to encourage the bermuda to take over.

And did I mention that I don't like buffalo grass? Take this into consideration as you evaluate my reply. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2003 10:29 am 

Don't be so down on Buff!!!

Actually, I am very much after the Prairie look - - I live in the country overlooking the Brazos river. It would be a huge injustice if I tried to put in a well manicured lawn. We only mowed twice this year and plan to keep to that regime in years to come. It has given us a nice truff around the pool that the whole family enjoys.

I do however, agree in our second season with the grass we are still fighting weeds. The CGM helped tremendously. In an effort to get rid of the bermuda grass - - yesterday, I brought out the spade and stared digging. I will fill the holes with compost and dirt - - The Buff will fill in nicely. It has produced many runners and it seeds like crazy. Any advise on how to get rid of the bermuda in other areas before we bring in more
sod?