It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:45 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Southern Wax Myrtles
PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2003 9:39 am 

We are thinking of adding three Southern Wax Myrtles in a 90 degree grouping about 6 feet apart. One at the point of the angle and one at each at the end of the L shape. Our intent is to purchase 15 gal. size multiple stem plants and groom then to form small trees. We understand that these bushes/trees have one potential drawback in the Dallas area, the suseptability for limb breakage in times of very heavy ice storms.

The grouping would be in the front of our cornor house, set back about fifteen feet from the sidewalk. The area gets full sun most of the day.

We are thinking of planting in late Oct. and doing the first trimming in Feb., removing the lower branches to about three feet.

Any comments or suggestions regarding the choice, planting and pruning details would be helpful.

...robot

Post subject: Durable?
PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2003 9:05 am 

Just read online a remark from another well know gardner that wax myrtles don't last long. :( And I just had one planted by a nursery. The picture of one dying, limb by limb was not pretty and not what I was expecting.

I needed a small shrub,tree that could be planted in my flower bed to help shade the front of my house from the NW sun in the summer and this is what was recommended. Now I'm wondering if I made a horrible mistake letting them plant this.

My lot is almost a zero lot and there's actually no room for a regular tree...
what is your opinion on Wax Myrtles and if it's not good...give me a suggestion as to what I can put there.'

Thank you.