It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:43 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: pecan tree falling apart
PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2003 2:26 pm 

we have a huge pecan tree in our front yard that seems healthy. One day last week we came home from work to find that an entire main branch had just cracked and fallen to the ground. I am talking about 1/6 of the entire tree! thank goodness it did not fall on the house.
The limb was alive inside and seemed fresh as if cut, although it clearly was not a clean cut or a 'cut' of any kind.
anyone heard of this or know :? what the cause may be?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2003 8:43 pm 

charmvalerie-
I was playing golf one day with Howard Garrett. I was just about to tee off when we heard a loud crashing sound. As we drove the cart down the fairway we saw a huge branch, representing about half of the mast, which had fallen off the side of the tree. There was no sign of decay, no wind, no giant squirrels that we noticed, it was just time for that branch to fall. I have about 50 pecan trees on my property and branches of all sizes come down on a regular basis. This is not a problem; it's nature at work.
Tony M

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2003 9:53 am 

thanks, I wondered if that was it. Its actually a good thing that the branch did fall when it did. the wind/rain storm this past weekend was so powerful in Cleburne that at least two of my neighbors lost huge trees and a taco bells not far off lost its sign! with any wind at all, that branch would have landed on either my volvo or my house!
thats God at work
:wink:

Post subject: Storm in Cleburne
PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2003 10:07 am 

charmvalerie wrote:
thanks, I wondered if that was it. Its actually a good thing that the branch did fall when it did. the wind/rain storm this past weekend was so powerful in Cleburne that at least two of my neighbors lost huge trees and a taco bells not far off lost its sign! with any wind at all, that branch would have landed on either my volvo or my house!
thats God at work
:wink:

I too am a resident here in Cleburne. We as a city did get a LOT of minor damage, and driving around, I could see that some people did lose trees, etc. The rain sure was nice, but would have been better over a period of a day, instead of almost all at once. :)

John C.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2003 10:16 am 

how true. it was odd to have it as dark as evening at 10:30am. My husband and I stood on the covered porch and watched and enjoyed the cool wind- but at times it was frightening with all that very loud and almost continous thunder! a tree on our st. was git with lightning and the city had to come and remove it, blocking our st for some time. good thing it landed IN the st and not on that owners home!

Post subject: Storm in Cleburne
PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2003 10:24 am 

charmvalerie wrote:
how true. it was odd to have it as dark as evening at 10:30am. My husband and I stood on the covered porch and watched and enjoyed the cool wind- but at times it was frightening with all that very loud and almost continous thunder! a tree on our st. was git with lightning and the city had to come and remove it, blocking our st for some time. good thing it landed IN the st and not on that owners home!

I actually left Cleburne as it was coming in. If it would have waited 10 minutes I would not have gotten so wet getting to the truck! I went to the TORC meeting at the Farmers Market on Saturday. I got on the other side of Venus, and lightning hit about 1/8 mile off the road. First time I saw lightning and heard the thunder at the exact same time.. Wow, what a flash. Had that image in my eyeballs for several seconds.

I talked to my kids when I got back home, they told me about the storm- they loved it. :> They are 11 and 13, and they like storms, as I took them out when a storm was coming in ever since they were babies...

John C.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2003 10:29 am 

sounds like a good way to eliminate nightmares during storms :idea: