It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:10 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2003 6:42 pm 

Finally got a DSL line and can enjoy this. Going to work on my front beds and gardens this winter. Its too hot after work right now. I work outside often at my job. Love organic. Smells much better. Attracts more critters. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2003 7:23 am 

senegaltictac
Welcome to the Organic Forum. I agree that it is to hot to be working outside now. I water my garden and foundation then retreat to the house in the air con and read the posts on the forum. Feel free to contribute questions, comments, or if you have an answer, to one of the posts, please share it with us. That's how we all learn.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2003 8:31 am 
Now is the perfect time to get out and give the garden all of the loving and vigorous attention it needs! This rain has been wonderful.

I've discovered a funky little old nursery off of Division in Arlington called Hare's. From Fort Worth you take Lancaster east, it's at the bottom of the hill going up into Arlington. I don't think they have an opinion one way or the other regarding organic or not, but they always seem to have a few wonderful little native plants off to the side of the typical seasonal color plants. They're less expensive than most. My neighbor had Redenta's come in and prepare the beds and do a limited amount of planting. To keep the costs down they bought plants on sale around the area to plant themselves, and I told her about this place. She found a quite a few native plants to fill out her newly dug beds. Looks wonderful over there!

Get out your spade forks and start digging!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2003 8:33 am 

Oops. That last "guest" was me.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2003 7:55 pm 

senegaltictac wrote:
Finally got a DSL line and can enjoy this. Going to work on my front beds and gardens this winter. Its too hot after work right now. I work outside often at my job. Love organic. Smells much better. Attracts more critters. :)
:?: Hello Ft. Worth. I have a house I am preparing for sale. It has a gravel drive and has grass growing in it. Do you have any suggestions for naturaly getting rid of this? I have not lived here very long and am not familiar with the gadening problems here. :roll: thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2003 7:57 pm 

Anonymous wrote:
Now is the perfect time to get out and give the garden all of the loving and vigorous attention it needs! This rain has been wonderful.

I've discovered a funky little old nursery off of Division in Arlington called Hare's. From Fort Worth you take Lancaster east, it's at the bottom of the hill going up into Arlington. I don't think they have an opinion one way or the other regarding organic or not, but they always seem to have a few wonderful little native plants off to the side of the typical seasonal color plants. They're less expensive than most. My neighbor had Redenta's come in and prepare the beds and do a limited amount of planting. To keep the costs down they bought plants on sale around the area to plant themselves, and I told her about this place. She found a quite a few native plants to fill out her newly dug beds. Looks wonderful over there!

Get out your spade forks and start digging!
:wink: Been there. Fun

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2003 9:36 pm 

Vinegar will kill the grass, but not the roots, so go over it a few times until it gets tired of trying to come back. Or just learn to live with grass in the driveway!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2003 11:25 pm 

This is not the best time of the year to apply vinegar as an herbicide. Whatever you are trying to burn should be actively growing and the temperature needs to be above 75-80. Neither condition is being met right now.
Tony M

Post subject: Winter Herbicide
PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2003 12:05 am 

I had a few stickery weeds I wanted to spot treat the other day and took my orange oil out full strength and sprayed it on them in a mist. They burned up. I know from experience the effect is twice as fast in hotter weather and full sun, but it still worked. There's your alternative. Hope it works for you too.
Kathe :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2003 10:56 am 

Actually, those conditions WERE met in Fort Worth over the weekend! Weather forecasters had it down for rain, but it was sunny part of the time and warm both days, reaching about 80! But it's good to know that about vinegar vs orange oil.