It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:29 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Spray-N-Grow?
PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2003 12:47 pm 

I received a brochure from Spray-N-Grow, and I am wondering if their products are acceptable within the organic community? They claim to be "environmentally friendly and organic". I am converting from chemicals to organics, and was wondering. Thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2003 10:13 am 

If you possibly can, try making all your own homemade compost, fertilizers, pesticides, and soil amendments. You will always be better off than using most commercial natural or organic products.

All I use on my 3/4 acre no-till garden beds is compost, organic mulches, cover crops, aerated and non-aerated compost teas, dry molasses powder, homemade fish emulsion and kelp teas, pelletized grain cattle feeds, corn meal, alfalfa meal or hay teas, etc.

I use all these items for soil building, faster composting, plant fertilization, disease control, and as a biostimulant.

The entire Kingdom of God can be totally explained as an Organic Garden (Mark 4:26)
William Cureton

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2003 4:46 pm 

hello all, i have used spray and grow for 2 years now i have great luck with it :) and bills perfect fertlizer is a very good all around fertlizer. but the captain is a very smart man :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2003 2:06 pm 

dirty dave-

Spray and grow is a naturally mined product from right here in Texas. It is mined out of river bottoms and "secretly" processed. It has 19 different elements in it but the law only requires two be listed. (iron and zinc) This is a supplement and is not a fertilizer. It is recommended to be used with a fertilizer for a complete feed, but only after 2-3 days. Why, I don't know but it is in the manufacturer's literature. I can't personally recommend it but I don't think there is anything bad or wrong with it. I do have an MSDS (material safety data sheet) if you want a copy. My question would be, "with all the other great products made in Texas, proven and research backed, why go down an unknown road"? Let us know if you try it and the results.
Tony M

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2003 2:56 pm 

hello your are right tony about the product spray-n-grow. maybe i didnt write what i said properly. the product at hand is a very good one tho, i have alot of family and friends that use it.you mix the fertilzer with the spay-n-grow product together and they work great together. i have done some tests on it myself this year and i can see a remarkable difference in my results :D this dirty dave of fort worth txs have a nice day

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2003 4:30 pm 

If this is mined out of river bottoms, isn't there a great potential for toxins washed off from who-knows-where to be lurking in the product? HOpefully they are taken out somehow during the "secret" processing but having seen a few Texas riverbottoms (ICK! :shock: ) I'd be hard pressed to put that on my plants.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2003 4:56 pm 

Kathe-
You could apply your same logic to the fish that come out of river bottoms, the great lakes, etc. Some fish are so toxic there are signs posted at the docks warning people not to eat more than x a week. What about seaweed soaking up all the nutrients and possibly ICK? Where do you draw the line and what products fall where?
I think this product deserves a fair shake, especially since we don't know how it's processed, but I'm not using it myself.
Tony M

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2003 9:03 am 

Tony - Can't disagree with your logic. I like to give a fair shake to any new product too, but I also ask when I can where the materials it is made from originate. Most of Texas is bad about toxins in its river bottoms from feed lot runoff, herbicide & pesticide runoff, etc. that I wouldn't use it myself. That's why I prefer products like Maxicrop as their products mostly com from the Artic waters where less toxins have accumulated. I think we'd all pretty much agree that you can't escape from toxins anymore because they are so profuse in the environment but investigating the original location of your products can make a difference, however small. I look at it the same way as eating organic vs. conventional vegetables; most are likely to have some pesticide residue but the organically raised ones can have a lower percentage on/in them and that's enough for me to make that choice. Where do you draw the line? Well, I guess we all have to decide that ourselves. Input on this forum helps us do that, I think. The point of its existence. :wink: