It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:10 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2003 4:36 pm 

Wow- it is really hot on the west side of our house. :oops: It is a problem area because the house is only about 5 ft from the property line. The wall of the house is about 65' long & has 4 windows. My husband has shrubs in mind but they would have to shed their leaves in the winter for heat gain. They could grow all the way up to the roof. I was thinking of vines. We could put up some wire for them to climb. But we don't want anything that would "take over" & head for the neighbors or :roll: "take off" onto our roof!

Thanks for any suggestions!

Gargrizz

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2003 7:40 pm 

Have you considered retractable awnings for the windows (or longer) and holly or boxwoods for the ground, up to window level??

You only need to screen the late day west sun in the windows pimarily and awnings do great job of that.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2003 9:20 am 

Gargrizz:

Are the windows the problem and/or the walls regarding the heat?
What is the exterior wall? Brick/wood and how old?

If the windows are the problem, I like the idea of awnings. In addition you could consider insulating interior blinds and/or curtains.

I had a simular problem and used Red Tip Phatonias [spl] to shade the wall, but it was year round shade. I looked at it this way...just how cold is it really here in Texas?

Should you consider vines, use trelleses made of Catlle Panels. They are a strong metal grid and can be found at a Farm and Ranch Stores.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2003 1:12 pm 

I have also used red-tip photinias to shade a west wall. My problem wasn't windows but, rather, that the house was dark red brick, which really soaks up the heat. Certain varieties of photinia can grow quite tall and they are very fast growers. The downside is that they are susceptible to a number of diseases so they often aren't particularly attractive. (They can get a fungal disease on their leaves that's really gross!) Mine were ugly as sin most of the time, but I planted miniature crepe myrtles in front of them to sort of disguise their ugliness, and they certainly kept the house cooler.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2003 4:11 pm 

When I first read your question, my first impulse was also red-tipped photinias - they do grow fast and are pretty hardy. I am currently fighting one that insists on growing up in the brick of my barbecue ...
If you want to try an espalier or vines up a trellis, trumpet vines are pretty and pretty fast-growing.