It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:47 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Zipper spiders
PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2015 11:33 am 

I have had a female zipper spider outside my bedroom window all summer. Something finally got her about a week ago during the night. It has been fascinating to watch her and learn the habits of these beautiful creatures. I learned about her egg sacs, of which she created 3 in a very short time. I think she would have left one more had she not met her demise.

I would like to know if I can safely move the egg sacks to a more protected place and not in my bedroom window. I don't care to have thousands of baby zippers in the spring trying to/getting into my house. Can they be moved much the same as a butterfly chrysalis? We have several places that should be safe. By the way this window faces the north with all the ravages of some of our strong north winds.

Post subject: Re: Zipper spiders
PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 8:12 am 

It has never been my experience to find a sudden population explosion of any of these spiders in the months after a web and egg sacs were created.
You can (I am guessing here) move them and see that the hatchlings (?) get started in a new area, but it is my suspicion that they manage to spread out
pretty quickly (and a large number are probably eaten by other insect predators). Perhaps by leaving the egg sacs in place you'll be lucky enough to have
one spin a web there next year. Argiope are interesting spiders, working in daylight so you can see them in action. My kids and I have been known to throw
Junebugs into the web to watch them in action.