It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:25 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Water retention
PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2003 4:43 pm 
Are there any ways to help with water retention. Legs and ankles swell even though I have taken salt away. Dr. wants me to take water pills but would rather find a natural solution.
Harry

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2003 5:30 pm 

I have read in various sources that water retention can be aided by drinking the recommended amounts of water daily.

Post subject: Water retention
PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2003 12:45 pm 

There are a variety of herbs that can help with water retention, generally by focusing on improving kidney function. I'd suggest trying to find a naturopathic doctor in your area. Chinese medicine also offers a lot of options to help the kidneys - I know that one recommendation is asparagus extract.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2003 2:29 pm 

Being pregnant, I know all about water retention right now :D

But first, taking salt completely out of your diet is also a cause for water retention. Your body needs salt, and gets most of it in your regular diet, assuming your diet is good. Just don't add salt in the way of table salt, processed foods or sodas.

Drink plenty of water in the day...I shoot for a 20 oz glass per hr (then again, I'm pregnant). Give yourself some time to relax with your feet up and change positions throughout the day often. If you have a desk job where your knees hang down from the horizonatl position, it puts pressure on the back of your legs, blocking off the full affectiveness of your legs to process both blood and water through the veins and tissue. Thus...swollen feet/ankles. If you stand all day, you can get the same affects.

Hope this helps some.

Post subject: Milk Thistle
PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2003 4:46 pm 

Milk thistle is widely known as an excellent liver support and used by many therapists and physicians to treat people with hepatitis and other liver & kidney impairing diseases, helping your body eliminate toxins which is critical to reducing water retention. Go to your local health food or Whole Foods store and talk with them about it. The gelcaps or liquid solution is always what has been recommended to me. I know people with liver disease and illnesses such as yours who have benefitted greatly. Think about switching out regular iodized salt for sea salt so you can benefit from the trace minerals found in it. Cut down or eliminate processed foods as you will not believe how much sodium is in them, and if you are still drinking sodas, turn your can around and take a look at how much sodium is in there... (Yikes!) then throw that stuff away! Hope this is as helpful to you as it was wonderful for me and my family and friends. Look up milk thistle on the net and just see how much great information is there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2003 11:07 am 

Celery and parsley are good natural diuretics. Also, marshmallow root can be purchased at your local health food store and then make a tea out of it. It has helped me naturally.

:P Chickie

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2003 8:30 am 

The typical American grocery store diet is absolutely crammed with salt! Learn to read the nutrition label - our bodies need sodium - but only 2,400 mg/day - and that is one teaspoonful of salt! Canned foods, prepared foods, pickles, smoked meats, frozen prepared foods (but not frozen vegetables) are loaded with sodium When you read the labels, look for the sodium content - if it is more than 250 mg. of sodium that is NOT considered "low salt". You can get used to going without table salt by using natural flavorings like lemon/lime juice, vinegar (especially good on greens), garlic, and peppers. Taking in enough potassium (citrus, banana, tomatoes) and magnesium and calcium (broccoli, kale, chard, dairy) will help a lot with getting rid of edema (swelling of the feet).
If you can cut your sodium/salt intake to less than a teaspoon a day, and if your health is otherwise all right - you should be able to lessen or eliminate swelling/fluid retention.
Consider, though - why your feet and legs swell. In hot weather, humans get dilation of the veins and capillaries to keep cool - and this can allow water to seep out of the microvasculature. Yes - lots of water is good for you...and in summertime you do need more than you anticipate. Drink at least 10 ounces before you go out in the heat...or otherwise, you will start dehydrating before you spend much time out there!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2003 10:12 am 

Hey doc, isn't it true that by the time you are thirsty, you're already dehydrated? And if you get really thirsty, you are looking at a bad headache and maybe heatstroke? My two daughters are particularly prone to this and everything you say falls in line with my experiences with them. Thanks for the medical explanation...it sure does make sense!