It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:35 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2003 11:47 am 

I have been faithfully reading the composting posts, and I am finding out hos much i don't know. Where can one get dried molasses, and would regular old "blackstrap" molasses in small doses work? Another question is - I have heard you all discuss "decomposed granite" or "decomposed gravel"...and I have never heard of decomposed stone. I would think that one would need a VERY hot compost pile for that.
My last question is really more of a comment - with the spectacular results that a relative ignoramus such as myself can acheive using the occcasional "tip" from Mr. Garrett - why are the commercial garden-products and agricultural supply companies NOT making good organic fertilizer, compost teas and the like for profit? Not that I would think that was all that great, as I think that one of the joys of gardening is "fish stories", home brews and neighbor-to-neighbor friendly competition - and not buying the stuff off the shelf at Home Depot.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2003 2:56 pm 

drchelo,

You can get dried molasses, in 50 lb. bags, at a variety of locations from organic garden centers to feed stores even Calloways carries it. The liquid molasses works great too. I use it when preparing foliar drenches and sprays.

The decomposed granite is sand-like (large grain) product which you can use for paths or bedding areas. I'm not sure where the "decomposed" comes from.

I'm sure that a lot of members on this forum enjoy mixing their various elixors, but not everyone wants to spend the time and would prefer a "buy it and apply it" product.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2003 1:06 pm 

Mr. Clean is absolutely right!

I spend countless hours teaching and training people in casual conversations, farmers markets, and in garden classes, about the wonderful science and art of hot composting and aerobic tea brewing. Even after I have totally explained and exposed my process to my students, still 20% of them would rather buy it already prepared and processed by me! (LOL)

I guess a few people like me enjoy the therapy of turning compost piles, making creative teas, spreading dry molasses and other cattle/horse feed soil amendments all over my lawn and garden. To me it's fun, entertaining, and scientific, not to mention economical and environmentally friendly.

The entire Kingdom of God can be totally explained as an Organic Garden (Mark 4:26)
William Cureton

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2003 7:47 pm 

Captain,
I'll totally agree with your statement. It is a great way to relieve the every day stress of our jobs.
Keep up the great work. If people are more willing to purchase from you, instead of making their own, it must mean that they are pleased and happy with your products, or they are just plan lazy. Face it. Compost is so easy to make and doesn't require much room. One of my neighbors has asked me to help them prepare their black clay for a garden. I said only if I can till a bunch of compost in this fall, when I do my garden spot. They saw my garden and were very pleased. It also helped when I gave them some cucs and tomatoes.
Working on another convert to organics. :wink: