It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:59 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Is my live oak dead
PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 12:51 pm 

My house was built in 2007 and we moved into it two years ago and in the front yard there is a 12' live oak. This live oak is smaller than all its neighbors but has responded to my attention. Well, I didn't know about removing mulch and dirt away from the tree flare until recently. We moved all the mulch and dirt away and now I notice there are about 3 to 4 girdling roots around the flares. And they look to be established girdling roots - meaning I couldn't just make a cut and pull them away. I figured the tree wouldn't make it if left girdled and I couldn't get an arborist out there so I went to cutting and pulling away as much as I could. I got one pulled off but there were 3 more that all I could do was remove what that I could and hope that the root would die and the flare could grow and release the girdle. I'll keep an eye on the tree through the spring and fall, but is it a lost cause? Should I cut the losses and just get a new tree put in this fall? What will be the signs of a dieing tree and how soon will it be evident?

I can post pictures if interested.

Post subject: Re: Is my live oak dead
PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 3:22 pm 

Please post photos, they make diagnosis a lot easier. Close to the base, around the exposed roots, and of the top of the tree so we can see the condition. How is the drainage and such in the yard? Does it get watered?

Look up the sick tree treatment. That would provide good conditions for this tree, or if it doesn't survive, for whatever you plant there next.

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 7:38 pm 

Okay here are the pics. The tree has started to lean to the back, I think bc of the girdling roots. On the left side, you can't really see it bc I put some dirt in the wounds, is the worst and largest girdle and it's pretty much fused with the flare. The tree has responded to my care since I have owned the house but I always suspected there something off. It gets water from the irrigation system and I apply some Garrett Juice to the roots this evening. I have 3 newly planted trees in the back yard that I think are buried too deep. I cleared the dirt around the trunk to where the trunk was widening but couldn't find much flare roots. These trees are younger and I don't know how I'll keep the dirt from accumulating in the future. Hopefully they will be okay.

Attachments:
File comment: Left side
5.21.14 006.jpg
5.21.14 006.jpg [ 208.03 KiB | Viewed 7017 times ]
File comment: Front
5.21.14 005.jpg
5.21.14 005.jpg [ 178 KiB | Viewed 7017 times ]
File comment: Tree
5.21.14 004.jpg
5.21.14 004.jpg [ 195.2 KiB | Viewed 7017 times ]

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 7:41 pm 

last pic....one more question...

How do I find a good arborist in San Antonio? I've tried to get appts with some I found online but no one returned the call. Any recommendations?

Attachments:
File comment: Back
5.21.14 007.jpg
5.21.14 007.jpg [ 234.44 KiB | Viewed 7013 times ]

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 7:57 am 

Howard participates in a Saturday morning gardening program on a San Antonio station. You might track that down and call in to ask. Look it up here.