It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:15 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Sick Red Oaks
PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 1:08 pm 

I have been using organic products for 18 years. My Red Oaks were beautiful for the last 6 years. This fall the leaves didn't drop until after the ice storm froze them on the trees. They each lost a branch due to the weight of the ice. In spring they began to bud out and we had another cold snap. They really haven't done much since. I began giving them the sick tree treatment but have just about given up on them. All of the other Red Oaks in my neighborhood look fine. Have any of you seen similar issues?

Post subject: Re: Sick Red Oaks
PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 1:36 pm 

Could your yard have been accidentally treated by one of these yard care companies? It sounds like your tree got hit by weedkiller.

I can see the flare of your tree - there may be more that can be exposed that might help a little. How often is it watered (do you have a sprinkler system?)

I lost a smallish tree and some ordinarily hardy shrubs over the winter, it was as hard a winter as I have ever seen here in North Texas. Is this tree on the north side of the house? That is what made a difference for most of the plants I lost.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 2:36 pm 

I agree that it looks like herbicide damage. Cold wouldn't do that to red oaks. The detox program might help.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 3:22 pm 

Thank you for the reply guys. I guess it could have been treated by someone but I don't know. My yard is covered in Dandelions so if it was then it doesn't kill them.

I do have a sprinkler system with drip emitters on the trees that run weekly when needed.

These trees are on the south side of my yard.

I'm really dumbfounded.

I will look up the detox program.

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 7:33 pm 

Just curious how your trees are looking? One thing I might suggest is capping the drip sprinklers so they don't water when the sprinkler is running. Red oaks that big certainly don't need individual watering each week. Your normal sprinkler heads are more than sufficient.

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 4:21 pm 

Not so good but thanks for asking Scottie.

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 9:55 pm 

I still think some dirt could come off of the base of those trees, a couple of inches at least, but I don't think being too deep is what caused these unhappy trees.

Considering the way these look, I'd spread some zeolite around the yard to see if you can neutralize a chemical that may have been spread by an errant lawn service. The sick tree treatment will make the soil healthier for future plants, and zeolite might help remove a problem.

If you replant, choose small trees, 5 gallons, and soak them in Garrett juice for an hour or so and then unwrap the roots. Plant them in a hole wide and fairly shallow with the roots spread out and the flare above soil, cover the roots with the native dirt (don't add extra stuff like compost or different soil) and be careful not to overwater. Planted small but planted well, new trees will catch up to where these were fairly quickly.

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 11:56 am 

Are those buds on the tree from this spring that just never leafed out? Looks like the 2nd tree in the photo has a chance to survive. Do the leaves on both trees look normal? Can't tell from the photos....

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 9:59 am 

Thank you for the advice Northwesterner.

Yeah Scottie those are buds that looked nice and healthy right before we had a late cold snap down into the low 30's. The leaves that are left look fine. I have driven all around my neighborhood to look at other red oaks. There aren't many and they look fine. Mine have always leafed out earlier and lost their leaves later than others in the area. This last winter the leaves were still on and red when we had that ice storm.

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 11:05 am 

When trees come into nurseries for sale they can come from any number of growers. These trees may be from someplace with a variety that isn't as happy in this soil or in this climate. Do you know what type of red oaks they are?

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 4:43 pm 

The landscape company that worked for the builder left the tags on them after planting. The tags on the trees read Shumard Red Oak. They came from Covington's Nursery about 2 miles down the street from me. They are a reputable nursery that has been in that location since 1984. I have bought several trees from them that are all in excellent health. I was planning to take pictures down to them to see if they had any advice.

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 10:53 pm 

That's very helpful, having the tags.

I came across another link that might be helpful, about soil detox.

Have you thought about having a soil test made? Howard recommends
Texas Plant and Soil Lab
5115 W. Monte Cristo Rd
Edinburg, TX 78541
956-383-0739
ngarcia@tpsl.biz
http://www.tpsl.biz