It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:42 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Ft Worth City Compost
PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2003 9:05 pm 

Has anyone used the free compost and mulch from the city of FtW? I was planning to go this weekend and get some as I can't produce enough in my compost heap to cover all that needs it. My only concern is that it might have herbicides in it, as not everyone contributing is organic. I do have to say "Hurrah!!!!" to the council of Ft Worth for having the courage to implement the recycle/composting program. Thanks,

Post subject: city compost
PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2003 5:20 pm 

We have a city site here, which recently burned to the ground, and have used it in past.

They started charging for the 'fine' mulch at $.03/lb but the 'course' mulch is still free. Course mulch is not worth the effort as it's too large. The cost of the 'fine' mulch = the cost of good mulch from local suppliers. With either, I still have to load it myself. No thanks.

Refering to your concerns, most all of that mulch are from trees and brush that has not received toxins. I take my brush there often and have not seen any grass clippings dumped there that may have come from someone's non-organic lawn.

The City uses most of it for their park needs.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2003 9:17 pm 

I'm glad you mentioned this. I've been thinking about getting some from my area of DFW. I was just scared of what I might introduce into my happy organic soil.

I might try an "experiment" garden area, and see what happens there with it. Maybe I'll be pleasantly surprised.

Post subject: City compost
PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2003 5:38 pm 

Be careful.
I used Denton Dirt on my veg. garden and it just died out. No vegetables at all. What a mess. I found out on their web site that they use sewage sludge mixed with other stuff and it does have grass clippings form lawns in it. Good luck.

Post subject: Re: Denton Sludge
PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2003 7:34 am 

Campbell,
Interesting about the Denton Sludge.
See if you can find out to what level they heat their compost. It's then graded by the State before it's turned loose to the public.

Here in San Antonio the City collects the sludge and then it's processed under contract with Gardenville and certified by the State. I believe the City shares is a portion of the profits.

Maybe others here at the BB have better knowledge on the subject.